You're all breaking the law!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin_P

Guru
G

I'm fully compliant on all my bikes.

But I don't own a single stitch of cycling clothing, don't wear a hat and most certainly don't have silly pedals that require stupid shoes that make one look as if they have poo'ed themself when attempting to duck-walk.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
And if the bicycle doesn't come pedals fitted?
Then it does not require a bell.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
G

I'm fully compliant on all my bikes.

But I don't own a single stitch of cycling clothing, don't wear a hat and most certainly don't have silly pedals that require stupid shoes that make one look as if they have poo'ed themself when attempting to duck-walk.
Have you considered that all the people you have seen walking strangely in cycling shoes might have actually pooed themselves? The shows could have nothing to do with it. :okay:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You don't have to swap to flats if you want reflectors. If you use 2 bolt SPDs you can get reflector pedals. I've got a pair. They're on my infrequently used bike. Sometimes I take them off and put them on my frequently used bike before a night ride, but often I can't be faffed.

Here you go Shimano PD-T400
prod104618_Black_NE_01?wid=500&hei=505.jpg

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
C

as it will be a cold day in hell before you ever get pulled up by the police for not having reflectors on your bike.

I was a police office for 8 years. I have never known anyone be pulled for not having reflectors. Ive never seen the subject raised in police discussions and I have never seen it come up as one of the bizzare questions in the Police Review.

Its a non starter, I think.

But I do like those Shimano PD T400 pedals

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I was a police office for 8 years. I have never known anyone be pulled for not having reflectors. Ive never seen the subject raised in police discussions and I have never seen it come up as one of the bizzare questions in the Police Review.

Its a non starter, I think.

But I do like those Shimano PD T400 pedals

I've got pulled up by the Police (because they had eff all to do) a couple of times, first time they wanted to know why I wasn't wearing hi-viz or a plastic hat the second time because of the speed I was doing going down a hill and he stopped me to ask me to be careful as I was breaking the 30mph limit for the road. .Nothing about reflectors and to be honest I don;t think most cops would know the rule anyway.

e-rider

crappy member
Another option is E: Don't go out in the dark!

The law regarding reflectors says: "All bicycles made after October 1st 1985 must also be fitted with amber pedal reflectors ( on each pedal) when being ridden on a public road between sunset and sunrise." So if you don't go out after sunset, you're OK!

As for a bell...... again the law says: "Bikes at the point of sale have to be fitted with bells, but there is no law saying they must be fitted to bicycles no longer on shop display." So, basically, it seems that the bike shop can take the bell off a display bike once it is sold and no longer on display!!
I built my own bike; how does that work?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
And if the bicycle doesn't come pedals fitted?
Then the seller hasn't broken the related point-of-sale regulation, but it doesn't change duty of the rider who rides it at night.

The law regarding reflectors says: "All bicycles made after October 1st 1985 must also be fitted with amber pedal reflectors ( on each pedal) when being ridden on a public road between sunset and sunrise." So if you don't go out after sunset, you're OK!
I've put pedals with amber reflectors onto a 1983 bike, mainly because I like the particular pedals. Am I a bad person?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I've got pulled up by the Police (because they had eff all to do) a couple of times, first time they wanted to know why I wasn't wearing hi-viz or a plastic hat the second time because of the speed I was doing going down a hill and he stopped me to ask me to be careful as I was breaking the 30mph limit for the road. .Nothing about reflectors and to be honest I don;t think most cops would know the rule anyway.

I think most cops would know the rule but are satisfied if you are lit up correctly.

With regards to the viz vest and helmet. I would educate him. Sod all to do with him.

Breaking the speed limit on a bike. He should have been pinning a medal on you.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think most cops would know the rule but are satisfied if you are lit up correctly.

With regards to the viz vest and helmet. I would educate him. Sod all to do with him.

Breaking the speed limit on a bike. He should have been pinning a medal on you.

The HI-Viz/Plastic Hat thing was a well publicised (well uninformed) London wide Police action due to the amount of people killed in London over a very short period of time in November one year.

Top Bottom