You're all breaking the law!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swansonj

Guru
Before the CTC gave up on both technical expertise and on campaigning for identifiable results, this, making the law on cycle lights more rational, was one of the things Chris Juden (their since-sacked technical officer) was quietly beavering away at. Not, I think, because of a rash of technically illegal recumbent and spd users, and riders using flashing mode when their light also has a steady mode,being prosecuted. But more because this legal farce plays into the failure to take cycling seriously as a legitimate and serious transport mode.

Tin Pot

Guru
Before the CTC gave up on both technical expertise and on campaigning for identifiable results, this, making the law on cycle lights more rational, was one of the things Chris Juden (their since-sacked technical officer) was quietly beavering away at. Not, I think, because of a rash of technically illegal recumbent and spd users, and riders using flashing mode when their light also has a steady mode,being prosecuted. But more because this legal farce plays into the failure to take cycling seriously as a legitimate and serious transport mode.

And, I suspect, because every time a trucker murders a cyclist the first question the police ask is if the woman was wearing a short skirt I mean, cyclist was wearing a helmet and hi viz.

Leaway2

Lycrist
From Wiki

In the United Kingdom, there is a legally enforced lighting-up time, defined as from one half-hour after sunset to one half-hour before sunrise, during which all motor vehicles on unlit public roads (except if parked) must use their headlights.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
From Wiki

In the United Kingdom, there is a legally enforced lighting-up time, defined as from one half-hour after sunset to one half-hour before sunrise, during which all motor vehicles on unlit public roads (except if parked) must use their headlights.

So is it legal to be unlit (whether in a car or pedal cycle) if you're on a lit road?

classic33

Leg End Member
{Useless fact alert}

Sunset is defined as being the time when the upper edge of the sun is seen to hit the horizon, but actually the sun is already a diameter below the horizon at that time but appears higher due to atmospheric refraction.
And if you happen to be in a valley at the time?

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
From Wiki

Also known as the civil twilight times.

hatler

Guru
I'm sure I read somewhere that bikes had to be lit between sunset and sunrise, but that motor vehicles only needed to be lit during 'lighting-up time', which means that bikes have to be lit for an hour longer than motors.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm sure I read somewhere that bikes had to be lit between sunset and sunrise, but that motor vehicles only needed to be lit during 'lighting-up time', which means that bikes have to be lit for an hour longer than motors.
Not if you live in the valleys though!

Ajax Bay

Guru
bikes had to be lit between sunset and sunrise, but that motor vehicles only needed to be lit during 'lighting-up time', which means that bikes have to be lit for an hour longer than motors.
This ^^^^^^^. Lighting-up time definition is {edit after Adrian's post below] WAS for motor vehicles. Pedal cycles require displayed lights (and reflectors) sunset to sunrise (or whatever @classic33 said the new term was (had horizon in it)).

Last edited:

suzeworld

Veteran
No, it has to be fitted with a bell at the point of sale; that is the moment that the bicycle changes hands. After that, the dealer can't remove the bell, as it is now your bell on your bike. You could give it back to him (or ask him to remove it), but that is your decision as the new owner.

I have never been given a bell with a new bike, and neither has my missis, we have bought at least 9 bikes over the past few years .. most of them new from local shops !

Top Bottom