You're all breaking the law!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lozz360

Veteran
Following on from the thread on rear lights, I had a read of the current Highway Code. Rule 60 says thus,

Rule 60
At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.

OK regarding front and rear lights but, your cycle MUST have a a red rear reflector. Mine doesn't. It was supplied brand new last year without one. What about the amber pedal reflectors? My bike did come with them but I have since changed the pedals for the clip-less type so the bike is not ridden with the pedal reflectors anymore.

I can't find anything about I must have a bell though.

So what shall I do?

A) Fit reflector to the rear and swap the pedals for the flat ones with amber reflectors
B) Stop riding the bike immediately
or
C) Hand myself in to the nearest police station

suzeworld

Veteran
Crikeyy - who has those amber bits on their pedals - I guess children and ppl who do not use click in shoes/pedals? I DO have reflective bits on my cycle shoes, though, so I guess that would serve the same purpose.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
You're all breaking the law!
Yep, and not just in the ways you are suggesting either :whistle:

RegG

Über Member
Another option is E: Don't go out in the dark!

The law regarding reflectors says: "All bicycles made after October 1st 1985 must also be fitted with amber pedal reflectors ( on each pedal) when being ridden on a public road between sunset and sunrise." So if you don't go out after sunset, you're OK!

As for a bell...... again the law says: "Bikes at the point of sale have to be fitted with bells, but there is no law saying they must be fitted to bicycles no longer on shop display." So, basically, it seems that the bike shop can take the bell off a display bike once it is sold and no longer on display!!

Tin Pot

Guru
Another option is E: Don't go out in the dark!

The law regarding reflectors says: "All bicycles made after October 1st 1985 must also be fitted with amber pedal reflectors ( on each pedal) when being ridden on a public road between sunset and sunrise." So if you don't go out after sunset, you're OK!

As for a bell...... again the law says: "Bikes at the point of sale have to be fitted with bells, but there is no law saying they must be fitted to bicycles no longer on shop display." So, basically, it seems that the bike shop can take the bell off a display bike once it is sold and no longer on display!!

F: Don't go outside, ever

Top Bottom