Shimano compatible 10 speed chainset wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
You should be able to pick up a perfect 6600 crankset for about £50

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Well. I ended up losing both those auctions and ive been watching so many auctions come and go and done so many searches for cranksets in the past week that its giving me really bad anxiety thinking i'll never be able to pick up a replacement on the cheap. So rather than deepening my anxiety ive just gone ahead and ordered a Tiagra 4700 off amazon.

There probably will be a small weight penalty but i cant deal with this dark cloud hanging over my head anymore. its for an all-weather bike anyway. Putting a 105 or Ultegra on it would have been nice if the price was right but this bike is going to get thrashed so its not really the end of the world.

I originally didnt want to pay over £60 for the 6750 ultegra part so i lost that auction. Then i increased my budget for the 105 but got outbid by someone who apparently wanted it more than i did because I had it at £120 then he sniped me for £140 at the last few seconds and i was still working up through the bids because i didnt want to go a quid over and before i knew it, the auction had ended.

Im sure it will shift just as well if not better than the Pro Wheel Ounce 721 that its replacing.

Though Im surprised that nobody here had some spare parts lying around that i could buy :wacko::wacko:

(and if we're talking about looks - It looks like the same crankset on my cube anyway which is a 6800 Ultegra)

Last edited:
OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
@RoubaixCube eBay prices have gone daft this year. Bidders are paying more than retail at times.

I was also looking at this 5750 too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-105-FC-5750-HOLLOWTECH-BICYCLE-CRANKSET-172-5-mm/274567369747

brand spanking new which is nice but £145 is really pushing my budget to be fair. Ive tried to make an offer but he seems to have added some sort of reserve price which coincidently seems to be the same as his asking price. so even my offer of £130 was auto rejected instantly.

I figured that if i was willing to pay £120 in the previous auction that i had lost then id squeeze another £10 rather reluctantly but no...

The 6600 Ultegra in my post at the of the page sold for £92. Im a little sad i didnt push harder for that. but my understanding is that the 5750 auction that i had just lost would have sold for around the same had I not been there bidding for it. I didnt make it easy for the other bidder but he was willing to throw money at it.

So i paid £75 for the FC-4700 off amazon.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
i thought they weren't cross compatible :wacko:

Spacing is different and all that

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
The rear derailleur isn't but the crankset works fine.

I'll keep this in mind for future reference. anyhoo! I had a good look for 11spd cranksets and the Tiagra still works out cheaper. There are some auctions that are ending in 3-5 days but im not prepared to wait or deal with ebay anymore after being on it for a week already. Im sure the bidding will go through the roof. I just want the bike fixed up and ready to go before any crazy last minute Christmas rush at my LBS for repairs and servicing.

If prices drop to a more acceptable level in the new year then maybe i'll have another go at it. Though im probably more inclined to sell the bike and get a fancier one as that was originally the plan some years ago.... I like how the 540 rides though.

Even ChainReactionCycles are charging £72 for an 8sp Claris R2000 chainset...

Thank you all for your feedback and i'll be sure to let you know how i get along when ive got some miles on it. (amazon says delivery should be this saturday)

I have a BB-R60 waiting (it cost me like £11 or 12 about a year or so ago..) Been meaning to get ride of the off brand Decathlon BB for a while now too, Just never got around to it.
Is this "offbrand" BB causing any issues?
Any problems with it?
Has it been mocked on rides?
If it's working I'd keep it.
I had the idea that some "offbrand" decathlon bits were actually shimano.

How will the new chainset be an "upgrade"?

I'd be inclined to just figure out whether it's only one chainring which is the problem and if so just change this.

For the future, whatever crankset you end up with I'd buy spare chainrings when you can get them cheap and stock up.
May be possible with 10 speed as folk race to higher numbers of rear sprockets.
I picked up loads of 8 and 9 speed chainrings for very good prices when they were falling out of favour.

And if you like the ride of the 540 as you say, keep it.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Is this "offbrand" BB causing any issues?
Any problems with it?
Has it been mocked on rides?
If it's working I'd keep it.
I had the idea that some "offbrand" decathlon bits were actually shimano.

How will the new chainset be an "upgrade"?

I'd be inclined to just figure out whether it's only one chainring which is the problem and if so just change this.

For the future, whatever crankset you end up with I'd buy spare chainrings when you can get them cheap and stock up.
May be possible with 10 speed as folk race to higher numbers of rear sprockets.
I picked up loads of 8 and 9 speed chainrings for very good prices when they were falling out of favour.

And if you like the ride of the 540 as you say, keep it.

well Initially, I had hoped to be able to 'upgrade' but thats not going to happen due to the crazy prices. The offbrand BB swap idea came as part of the chain/crankset swap though it hasnt given me any problems per se~ apart from occasional clicking. I Just thought I would throw in the new one along with the new 4700 when it arrives as it wasnt doing anything anyway.

But its another Chinese made ProWheel part. Decathlon have never listed any model numbers for it apart from it being a "ProWheel External"

Ive not touched anything on the drivetrain apart from a new chain and cassette. Bike has been ridden regularly since 2016 when i got it so i thought why not.

i'll be sure to source and keep a few 34T chainrings for future use.

::EDIT::

The term i was looking for at the time was 'parity'. Shimano BB for a shimano crank/chainset.

Last edited:
good call on keeping the bike.

I'm maybe a bit old fashioned but I think the frame, its feel and geometry are the most important part/core of a good bike.

It can then just be maintained and fine tuned.

So things just get better.

The BB shouldn't be clicking of course though.

What sort (type, not manufacturer) is it?

Top Bottom