Shimano CS-HG41 / CS-HG50 etc., what is the difference

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
You can swap the freehub body on the hub so it fits your new casette. Google swap uniglide for hyperglide and some pics and YouTube video should pitch up.

midlife

Guru
Or you can file tabs off your new cogs to fit your hub.

http://cycleseven.org/fitting-hyperglide-sprockets-on-a-six-speed-uniglide-freehub

OP
OP
buzzy-beans

buzzy-beans

Über Member
Sorry, although I can strip down and rebuild old Land Rovers I don't have the tools, equipment or patience to undertake such an exercise, as such I honestly don't know what to do right now with this otherwise beautiful bike.

OP
OP
buzzy-beans

buzzy-beans

Über Member
Buy some nice wheels :smile:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm if only I had the money as well, but sadly at the moment all of our money is being spent on converting our house and in any case, I thought I was buying a bike that was ready to ride which it patently isn't on anything other than an almost billiard flat road as the ratios are so very high!

I might have to see if I can come to some arrangement with a certain gent on here to see if I can swap the Shorter for a fully finished Neutron Bomb.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
As with all things Shimano and Mercedes, a higher number is better. HG-50 is better than HG-41 in some small way. It could be a subtle as the type of plating used.

I don't know about the 7-speed Shimano HG cassettes, but for the 8-speed equivalents the HG41 and HG50 differ in the spacing and range.

The HG41-8 has 3 options:
11-13-15-17-20-23-26-30T
11-13-15-17-20-23-26-34T
11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32T

And the HG50-8 has 5:
12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21T
13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23T
12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23T
13-14-15-17-19-21-23-26T
12-13-15-17-19-21-23-25T

midlife

Guru
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm if only I had the money as well, but sadly at the moment all of our money is being spent on converting our house and in any case, I thought I was buying a bike that was ready to ride which it patently isn't on anything other than an almost billiard flat road as the ratios are so very high!

I might have to see if I can come to some arrangement with a certain gent on here to see if I can swap the Shorter for a fully finished Neutron Bomb.

Neutron Bomb? Had a Google but could only come across the EMP weapon lol

OP
OP
buzzy-beans

buzzy-beans

Über Member
Neutron Bomb? Had a Google but could only come across the EMP weapon lol

It was/is a gorgeous frame that Biggsy has stashed away in his garage which is, just like the Shorter a perfect fit for me https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/neutron-bomb.211235/, however it looks as though the good gent from Wellingborough has found a way of sorting out my Shorter gearing worries :rolleyes::smile::tongue:

midlife

Guru
Thanks for that, that frame is a bit after my time......unlike the Shorter :smile:

Good news that Martin has sorted you out :biggrin:

OP
OP
buzzy-beans

buzzy-beans

Über Member
Good news that Martin has sorted you out :biggrin:

Attempting to do it myself now for various reasons, so watch this space.
But I am pleased to say that now the surgery scars on my left hand have now scabbed over I was able to go out for the first time for a proper ride on the Shorter yesterday and boy oh boy does this amazing bike ride like a dream, it is so comfortable and reacts instantly to any move, but as for the gearing, thank heavens it is such a very light bike!

Top Bottom