Shimano freewheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Shimano Single Speed Freewheel 16t. Says for BMX riding but are they interchangeable and will it fit my Genesis day one ? At nearly 30 English pounds I don't want the wrong one !!!

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
Thanks Adrian, do you know if they are good quality ir if better at cheaper price ?

Sharky

Guru
I think some bmx threads are different, so need to check.

I use dicta free wheels, which can be got from velosolo for about £7. If still experimenting with ratios, this is a good option. Same removal tool as shimano. None of mine have failed, but I always have a fixed cog on the flip side, so will never be stranded.

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
Just started with SS so waiting maybe till next year before going freewheel. Currently 69 gear inch with a 46/18. Looked online to find thread size of Genesis rear sprocket but can find nothing and they don't send that info with bike

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
A quick question. Been reading a lot of descriptions that say 6-9 speed 3/32 chain or updated quality 8 or 9 speed chain. What's this referring to exactly ? (Not the 3/32" bit, I get that :laugh:)

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Not sure so attached pics

andrew_s

Legendary Member
It certainly looks like a narrow freehub and splined sprocket (with a BB lockring).
This has the advantages that it's much easier to get the sprocket off and it should last better, and the disadvantage that you probably won't find the sprockets in your LBS. They do seem to be available in a good range of sizes (google "splined single speed sprocket").
The spare sprockets that you can get for regular cassettes (eg from Rose) aren't really advisable as the chain will come off much more easily

Last edited:

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
That is an unusual setup. See where it states the torque '30 ft lbs'. Is there another bit of text opposite that states the thread type? Shimano gave up threading the freehub body externally like that. It was an old design for cassettes where the last (smallest) sprocket was threaded, rather than using a lockring.

If it is a standard Shimano spline, a regular single speed sprocket for freehub use should fit.

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/andelss.html

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shopsingle.html

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
That is an unusual setup. See where it states the torque '30 ft lbs'. Is there another bit of text opposite that states the thread type? Shimano gave up threading the freehub body externally like that. It was an old design for cassettes where the last (smallest) sprocket was threaded, rather than using a lockring.

If it is a standard Shimano spline, a regular single speed sprocket for freehub use should fit.

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/andelss.html

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shopsingle.html

Had a look and nothing opposite or on locking ring

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
It certainly looks like a narrow freehub and splined sprocket (with a BB lockring).
This has the advantages that it's much easier to get the sprocket off and it should last better, and the disadvantage that you probably won't find the sprockets in your LBS. They do seem to be available in a good range of sizes (google "splined single speed sprocket").
The spare sprockets that you can get for regular cassettes (eg from Rose) aren't really advisable as the chain will come off much more easily

So would I be right in thinking the Genesis has a freewheel hub with the ratchet in the hub & a cog in the outer spline. A freewheel gear like white industries eon, the ratchet is in the cog and not the wheel ? Thus a white industries is not compatible and I need a straight up splined sprocket ?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
So would I be right in thinking the Genesis has a freewheel hub with the ratchet in the hub & a cog in the outer spline. ... I need a straight up splined sprocket ?
That's what it looks like, but I'm going entirely by your photos.
I'd suggest taking the lockring off and seeing whether the sprocket slides off.
You'll probably want to do this anyway to find out how thick the sprocket is where it fits the splines. If you get something the same you won't have to muck about with spacers. Surly are apparently 4.35 mm, Gusset 2mm or 7 mm, On-one 4.0 mm, Shimano 2 mm, Chris King 5 mm, Halo 7 mm

Top Bottom