Shimano GC Shimano BB-7200 GB-100 DURA ACE Bottom Bracket 68mm 116mm 35xP1 French (LN)

woodbutchmaster

Über Member
Can anyone tell me how to remove one of these ,ie which direction clockwise or anti-clockwise ? The frame is going for a respray and l don't want to leave it in the shell.
PS l have had no luck either direction so far, it just won't budge :wacko:

midlife

Guru
French bb was 68 mm with both cups having a right hand thread. Is it a really old French frame?

OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Über Member
French bb was 68 mm with both cups having a right hand thread. Is it a really old French frame?
Yes it is a Bernard Carré signed frame
IMG_1862.jpg

I think probably mid 1970's. From what l have been able to find out he built it for his own business ,it wasn't to order for the Bertain factory

midlife

Guru
Blimey, nice find :smile:. I guess it's a genuine French frame from my era with a French bb which has a right hand thread for both sides. Undo both sides anti clockwise. Any pics of the BB?

OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Über Member
Blimey, nice find :smile:. I guess it's a genuine French frame from my era with a French bb which has a right hand thread for both sides. Undo both sides anti clockwise. Any pics of the BB?
I will take a few pics today for you , thanks for the thread info.

OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Über Member
Success , buoyed up by the redoubtable S-B , l finally got the drive side out ! What a very unpleasant mess of ancient , dust and grit polluted grease inside. One thing l learned from Sheldon-B is that the b/b shell faces must be trued before fitting the Shimano stuff. Unfortunately this was not done by whoever fitted the b/b , there was a very noticeable gap on one edge of the lock ring side, and the rim of the shell is a bit chewed up. I will have to do a bit of cosmetic work before it goes for respray.
A few photos before l clean it ^_^ ! and a few of the frame before stripping .
If you notice on the head tube lugs there are small diamond shaped cutouts , Carré only did these on his own frames for commissions from private customers.

Attachments

OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Über Member
Just in case you haven't come across this l thought you would find it interesting.https://bertinclassiccycles.wordpress.com/category/bernard-carre/

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Is the thread the same as an ISO LH cup? Most shop facing tools have a bush which threads into the opposite side and acts as a guide for the cutter.

OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Über Member
Is the thread the same as an ISO LH cup? Most shop facing tools have a bush which threads into the opposite side and acts as a guide for the cutter.
I think they are the same, bike shops and mechanics are thin on the ground here darkest Lot but l guess l could source the necessary tools and do it myself^_^

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I checked. It's unique (35mm and 1mm pitch). This means bike shop facing tools probably won't work unless they have a French adaptor. The Cyclus one only comes with ISO/BSC and Italian adaptors. The Park one only comes with BSC and Italian can be bought as an accessory.

You'll need a shop that does a lot of old French bikes, or a tool that doesn't rely on the threads. Or get a machine shop or someone with a lathe to knock up a suitable bush with a 35 x 1 external metric thread and an inner diameter to match the facing tool spindle.

OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Über Member
Oh boy would you like to come here to France and explain to the little village garage (there is no such thing as a bike shop here) ? The garage are pretty good , if they can't find it they make it. Yes l do live in very rural SW France, oh and wine is literally cheaper than water .

Top Bottom