Shimano GC Shimano BB-7200 GB-100 DURA ACE Bottom Bracket 68mm 116mm 35xP1 French (LN)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can anyone tell me how to remove one of these ,ie which direction clockwise or anti-clockwise ? The frame is going for a respray and l don't want to leave it in the shell.
PS l have had no luck either direction so far, it just won't budge :wacko:

midlife

Guru
French bb was 68 mm with both cups having a right hand thread. Is it a really old French frame?

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
French bb was 68 mm with both cups having a right hand thread. Is it a really old French frame?
Yes it is a Bernard Carré signed frame
IMG_1862.jpg

I think probably mid 1970's. From what l have been able to find out he built it for his own business ,it wasn't to order for the Bertain factory

midlife

Guru
Blimey, nice find :smile:. I guess it's a genuine French frame from my era with a French bb which has a right hand thread for both sides. Undo both sides anti clockwise. Any pics of the BB?

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
Success , buoyed up by the redoubtable S-B , l finally got the drive side out ! What a very unpleasant mess of ancient , dust and grit polluted grease inside. One thing l learned from Sheldon-B is that the b/b shell faces must be trued before fitting the Shimano stuff. Unfortunately this was not done by whoever fitted the b/b , there was a very noticeable gap on one edge of the lock ring side, and the rim of the shell is a bit chewed up. I will have to do a bit of cosmetic work before it goes for respray.
A few photos before l clean it ^_^ ! and a few of the frame before stripping .
If you notice on the head tube lugs there are small diamond shaped cutouts , Carré only did these on his own frames for commissions from private customers.

Attachments

• CHs6keiITIGTa5qONi0NMg.jpg
    CHs6keiITIGTa5qONi0NMg.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 14
  • hWA2KedrTaysdyFAWjSgBw.jpg
    hWA2KedrTaysdyFAWjSgBw.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 15
  • GioF9okbThCWidvcUslfIw.jpg
    GioF9okbThCWidvcUslfIw.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 14
  • z6GIeEwJRN2un+B4ax%TCg.jpg
    z6GIeEwJRN2un+B4ax%TCg.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 11
  • MkRq16FsReaLvFfFAdZO2g.jpg
    MkRq16FsReaLvFfFAdZO2g.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
Just in case you haven't come across this l thought you would find it interesting.https://bertinclassiccycles.wordpress.com/category/bernard-carre/

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Is the thread the same as an ISO LH cup? Most shop facing tools have a bush which threads into the opposite side and acts as a guide for the cutter.

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
Is the thread the same as an ISO LH cup? Most shop facing tools have a bush which threads into the opposite side and acts as a guide for the cutter.
I think they are the same, bike shops and mechanics are thin on the ground here darkest Lot but l guess l could source the necessary tools and do it myself^_^

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I checked. It's unique (35mm and 1mm pitch). This means bike shop facing tools probably won't work unless they have a French adaptor. The Cyclus one only comes with ISO/BSC and Italian adaptors. The Park one only comes with BSC and Italian can be bought as an accessory.

You'll need a shop that does a lot of old French bikes, or a tool that doesn't rely on the threads. Or get a machine shop or someone with a lathe to knock up a suitable bush with a 35 x 1 external metric thread and an inner diameter to match the facing tool spindle.

OP
OP
W

woodbutchmaster

Veteran
Oh boy would you like to come here to France and explain to the little village garage (there is no such thing as a bike shop here) ? The garage are pretty good , if they can't find it they make it. Yes l do live in very rural SW France, oh and wine is literally cheaper than water .

Top Bottom