Shimano hub locknut conundrum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
Normally to get into a hub for servicing I use two spanners to unlock the locknut+cone assembly, by twisting in opposite directions - the standard way.

However the Shimano 105 hubs on a rear wheel that I bought in 2019 have no flattened area on the locknut for a spanner to grab onto - see the picture.

Is this normal for new Shimano hubs? The only solution I can see is to hold the locknut in a vice to undo, and replace it with a spanner-friendly one next time.

Any other ideas?
IMG_20201230_105813.jpg

Jody

Stubborn git
The adjustment is either from the other side or it's running cartridge bearings and that part slots in. Check to see if it pulls out by hand.

D

Deleted member 1258

Whats the other side like? Will the axle pull out once you've undone the other side?

iluvmybike

Über Member
Allen key in each end

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Found it! It does indeed take an allen key in each end, so that's what I'll be doing this evening.

In many years I've never come across one of these, so it's not something I thought to look for. Thanks to the collective mind of CycleChat for helping me out there.
Please take some pictures of the parts once dissassembled. Never seen this from Shimano before, Even my 105 12mm thru axle still has cup & cone bearings with the near normal cone & locknut arrangement.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Please take some pictures of the parts once dissassembled. Never seen this from Shimano before, Even my 105 12mm thru axle still has cup & cone bearings with the near normal cone & locknut arrangement.
Here as requested by @I like Skol is a picture of the whole axle assembly. The r/h end is the non-drive side showing the order of components. The job actually needed an allen key and one spanner and then all made sense.
It's a FH-5800 whereas my others were FH-5700 and 5600s.
IMG_20201230_193407.jpg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Presumably the axle is almost exactly the right length and the cone has flats for a normal cone spanner while the locknut is tightened by Allen key? I like it, the axle end to frame interface is much improved over the old threaded stump with conventional hubs.

Top Bottom