Shimano pd-a520 spd touring pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bagpuss

Guru

Does anyone know if Shimano have stopped making these ,or is it a supply issue? . It is the single sided type .

C R

Guru
View attachment 587784

Does anyone know if Shimano have stopped making these ,or is it a supply issue? . It is the single sided type .
I don't think they're being made new any more. I got a used pair on ebay, sometimes there's nos pairs in there, but that's all I could ever find.

ETA, actually, just been to Google and found this

http://www.neilrigby.co.uk/product/shimano-pd-a520-pedals/

ETE

Scratch that, buy link goes to amazon where they're out of stock.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
i read the new design doesnt hang as good for clipping in as the old style due to the back part missing
I've got the original type on my singlespeed bike and they have never been great for clipping in to! There is enough friction in the bearings that they don't reliably hang vertically so I often have to do the old 'flip-and-click'. Once clipped in, I like them, but getting started on steep climbs or in stop-start traffic can be a bit dodgy.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I've got the original type on my singlespeed bike and they have never been great for clipping in to! There is enough friction in the bearings that they don't reliably hang vertically so I often have to do the old 'flip-and-click'. Once clipped in, I like them, but getting started on steep climbs or in stop-start traffic can be a bit dodgy.
i only use the single sided for leisure rides, commuting when i need to ensure quick clip in i use double sided

ColinJ

i only use the single sided for leisure rides, commuting when i need to ensure quick clip in i use double sided
I do too on my other bikes, but I had these lying around in a drawer when I built my budget singlespeed bike so I put them on that. 99% of the time it isn't a problem; I just have to remember to be careful when clipping in or my shoe might slip off the pedal.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've always found them as easy or easier than the double-sided ones. Conversely the SPD-SL are, I find, less easy to clip in first time.
The new-style ones feel much the same.

ColinJ

I've always found them as easy or easier than the double-sided ones. Conversely the SPD-SL are, I find, less easy to clip in first time.
The new-style ones feel much the same.
I just searched and found a lot of other riders online saying the same thing about the a520s. Some said that the bearings on their pedals loosened up after a while, but I have done several thousand kms on mine and they haven't! If I turn the pedals to a given position and let go, they tend to stay like that rather than turning to hang upright.

I assume that I could get inside and put some thinner grease in the bearings. I might try that tomorrow.

OP
OP
B

bagpuss

Guru
Thank you all for your input .
As with most modern pedals the lack of a grease port makes for a shorter bearing life imho .

Drago

Legendary Member
Agreed. The platform is itself an obstacle to smooth clipping in, and being single sided they often don't present themselves conveniently for engagement. Even worse, once clicked in there is actually very little, if any, contact with the platform with most shoes, so they're a faff with no real benefit.

Top Bottom