Shimano Sora Advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoons47

DB5FD5D1-EF07-4A14-B150-C02193AEC1E2.jpeg F8C8B422-B122-4CE4-9656-81C42781AD64.jpeg The pic is of my current shifters working a Shimano Sora gearset on my beloved Felt F95 which I have recently acquired and absolutely love. Been to mechanic today who gave me a bike fit and said the only thing I would possibly need to upgrade would be the shifters. I have two questions. There are so many different types I’m very confused which ones to get. My main gripe is the thumb shifter on the right, it’s awkward and clunky. I think it might be the ST3500, can someone please tell me what I need to get, they don’t seem very expensive on fleabay. I’ll be very proud if I have got it right lol.
Second question is can I get away with buying just the RH one as the LH is not as much a bother.
Thanks all in advance.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
those shifters are microshift 9 speed
It depends on what you want to do , can you live with the older style thumb shifters which you can pick up for about £60
36918.jpg

ordid you want shifters with no thumb button ? ones with gear cables running exterally can be had for about £100
st3500dpa.jpg

the newer ones with internal cables are about £150 , of course there is ebay etc

Drago

Legendary Member
I used to love the Sora shifters with the thumb button for commuting where I'd be up on the hoods. The Microshift equivalent would be better described by removing the letter F from the name.

Anyway, the later Sora went to a more conventional paddle layout, as does Claris. Both work effectively, and it properly set up with good cables give a slick change that belies their price.

Last edited:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
had 8 speed sora on an old bike and have 9 speed sora on the commuter, no difference in shifting quality…

chriscross1966

Über Member
If you add a Jtek Shiftmate #2 to your derailleur you could use Campagnolo 10 speed shifters. More recent ones dont have thumb shifters if that's what you want.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Hi @Spoons47 , I've got a pair of Sora 3500 shifters (ones without the the thumb shifter) which are a bit worn around the edges but the last time I used them were absolutely fine and are very serviceable.
I've upgraded to Sora R3000 shifters and the 3500's are just getting in the way, so if you're interested PM me and I can send you some photos and we can discuss further.
Cheers, Wonderloaf.

Edit: forgot to say they're 2 x 9 speed.

OP
OP
Spoons47

Spoons47

Hi @Spoons47 , I've got a pair of Sora 3500 shifters (ones without the the thumb shifter) which are a bit worn around the edges but the last time I used them were absolutely fine and are very serviceable.
I've upgraded to Sora R3000 shifters and the 3500's are just getting in the way, so if you're interested PM me and I can send you some photos and we can discuss further.
Cheers, Wonderloaf.

Edit: forgot to say they're 2 x 9 speed.
Thanks. PM sent

Top Bottom