Shimano STI shift lever broken

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

sargan

I don't knock your view ..... but for me, I don't need to buy a new one .. as I have another (Saracen which has suspension and much newer mechanics) So I'm happy to spend a small amount to make the Muddy Fox run again, but it has to be a small amount.

I'll keep looking for a shifter than will support Cantilever brakes.

An alternative ..... does anyone knpow of an experinced cycle mechnaic that would repair the Shimano STI shift ..... it does not look worn or damaged, maybe just not set up right (springs, ratchedt etc)

All uphill

Still rolling along
Otherwise, if money is tight, is there a cycle project near you? We are fortunate to have one here that would quickly get you moving again using recycled parts.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Anything further than £20 - £30 in total and I might as well scrap the bike, a pity but not going to be worth it.
Scrapping a bike for the want of a brake lever is quite wasteful imho.
If the bike suits you a new bike is going to cost a lot more than a pair of levers.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
S

sargan

OK .... a step forward
I stripped down the STI shift mechanism cleaned it all, and found a detached spring .... it now 'seems' to be working, but is in need of a screw.

On Shimano STI shift levers the plastic cover is held on with a flat head Phillips screw. (SEE PICTURE)
I measure it to be an M4 x 8
Does anybody know if these screws have a specific name ? be nice to get correct one.

screw.jpg

C R

Guru
OK .... a step forward
I stripped down the STI shift mechanism cleaned it all, and found a detached spring .... it now 'seems' to be working, but is in need of a screw.

On Shimano STI shift levers the plastic cover is held on with a flat head Phillips screw. (SEE PICTURE)
I measure it to be an M4 x 8
Does anybody know if these screws have a specific name ? be nice to get correct one.

View attachment 553776
Well done for fixing the shifter. I think an M4x8 pan head would fit the bill. Plenty on the bay.

OP
OP
S

sargan

I did a search nearest was a flanged button head .... and bought in stainless .... if this works be great

Top Bottom