Shimano STI shift lever broken

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Sorry had missed the link .....read the reviews of that Amazon one - shoicking, its a Chinese copy ... not genuine Shimano. If I can find ST-EF51 that will work with cantilever brakes I will buy then ,,,,,, any sugestion for source ?
I am not sure where the Chinese copy thing comes from. eBay won't be any better for sold as new stuff, you may be lucky with used levers.

OP
OP
S

sargan

Does the 461 have to '4 finger' to work with cantilever brakes (as the 561 does) ...... just gives me more options to search.
The bike is 30 years old I don't want to spend on changing brakes as well.

C R

Guru
Does the 461 have to '4 finger' to work with cantilever brakes (as the 561 does) ...... just gives me more options to search.
The bike is 30 years old I don't want to spend on changing brakes as well.
The issue is the lever travel. The ones compatible with both Vs and cantis have a different mounting position for the cable link at the lever depending on which type you use, and you need to set them up when you install. That's explained in the Shimano document I linked to in the post above.

If you don't want to spend much look for a used EF51 on the bay, or maybe the Chinese knock offs might be worth a punt.

OP
OP
S

sargan

The EF51 have the same issue though - need to be 4-finger type to work with Cantilever brakes - as you correctly say provides different position to alter cable travel.
Found a great video explaining the difference and how to adjust - but still not found any EF51 4 finger for sale (so far)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DetDJ_8EKio

OP
OP
S

sargan

Are you sure about set up with Cantilever ? .... it does say V-Brake on the shifters ... on the video posted ealier the advice is it it has 'V-brake' on shifter it is not adjustable to work on Cantilevers. I can't find any mention of Cantilever brakes in the add description.
I have no practical experience of these - hence all the questions. (Be great if they will)

Last edited:

C R

Guru
Are you sure about set up with Cantilever ? .... it does say V-Brake on the shifters ... on the vidoe posted ealier the advice is it it has 'V-brake' on shifter it is not adjustable to work on Cantilevers. I can't find any mention of Cantilever brakes in the add description.
I have no practical experince of these - hence all the questions.
According to the Shimano dealer manual, the 4A models of those are adjustable, but can't tell whether the amazon ones are 4A. Perhaps worth asking the seller.

Drago

Legendary Member
Those are early 90's 200GS levers. They were available band mounted on their own and integrate-ish with brake levers, as above. The 100GS was almost identical, but liveried differently.

They weren't nice when new and had a rep for unreliablity, so its perhaps no surprise they're kaput.

OP
OP
S

sargan

According to the Shimano dealer manual, the 4A models of those are adjustable, but can't tell whether the amazon ones are 4A. Perhaps worth asking the seller.

Contacted seller CERVUS bikes and they advise ST-EF500 does not work with Cantilever brakes. So back to begining for replacement.
The used ones on eBay are not cheap - so prefer to buy a new set if there are any that suit.
ST-EF51 4 Finger lever seems the way forward ...... if I can find them.

C R

Guru
Contacted seller CERVUS bikes and they advise ST-EF500 does not work with Cantilever brakes. So back to begining for replacement.
The used ones on eBay are not cheap - so prefer to buy a new set if there are any that suit.
ST-EF51 4 Finger lever seems the way forward ...... if I can find them.
It may prove simpler to just go to Vs, which is what I ended up doing.

OP
OP
S

sargan

Its the cost - this is a 30 year old Muddy Fox bike - while top end at the time, has no suspension, so now basic - not worth throwing to much money at.......I'm also guessing V brakes are not just bolt-on replacements.
Unless there is a direct bolt or replacement in which case I could change rear only

Interesting as a kid all the basic bikes had side pull calliper brakes ..... centre pull was cutting-edge.

C R

Guru
Its the cost - this is a 30 year old Muddy Fox bike - while top end at the time, has no suspension, so now basic - not worth throwing to much money at.......I'm also guessing V brakes are not just bolt-on replacements.
Unless there is a direct bolt or replacement in which case I could change rear only

Interesting as a kid all the basic bikes had side pull calliper brakes ..... centre pull was cutting-edge.
In my 90s rigid MTB the Vs were a direct replacement for the cantis. I think the bosses are the same for both brake types. You can get a full V brake set for about £15, if you want Shimano branded you are looking at £25 plus, on top of the lever/shifter replacement.

OP
OP
S

sargan

Anything further than £20 - £30 in total and I might as well scrap the bike, a pity but not going to be worth it.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Anything further than £20 - £30 in total and I might as well scrap the bike, a pity but not going to be worth it.
I disagree.

If the bike suits you, and has given you years of service, then £50 on maintenance and an upgrade to brakes is more than reasonable; certainly much less than new bike.

C R

Guru
In that case, if I were you I would go for the cheaper levers and brake set. As @All uphill says, it will be cheaper and more environmentally friendly than scrapping your bike and buying a new one.

Top Bottom