Shimano warns about fake clearance site

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Ebay is full of fake Shimano gear. I only buy cables and the like from Halfords or other known retailers now. You can obviously get a refund on the fake items (the seller invariably claims to have been ripped off by "their supplier") but it's hassle and takes a couple of weeks if eBay need to step in.

OP
OP
C R

C R

Guru
Ebay is full of fake Shimano gear. I only buy cables and the like from Halfords or other known retailers now. You can obviously get a refund on the fake items (the seller invariably claims to have been ripped off by "their supplier") but it's hassle and takes a couple of weeks if eBay need to step in.
This is a step up from some guy flogging dodgy gear in ebay, though.

Regarding getting a refund, how do you show that the thing you got is fake?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
This is a step up from some guy flogging dodgy gear in ebay, though.

Regarding getting a refund, how do you show that the thing you got is fake?
They don't normally query it, because they know it's fake when they list it and they're worried about eBay closing their account. The fake cables don't have a drawn finish to the inners (and are probably not stainless, where claimed). The packaging also uses a different kind of clear plastic, so you can tell without even opening the packet.

Reactions: C R
The Shimano statement is very brief https://www.shimano.com/en/cms/news/japan/news_detail_591.html

The following fake website was found to be posing as Shimano (https://www.shimano-clearance.store/).
The website is using the Shimano logo, product pictures and other content without our authorization.
At present, we are petitioning to have the website shut down.

Shimano is not responsible or liable for any trouble that arises from the use of a fake website.
We ask that customers take ample care.

The lack of any statements on the products seems to be normal lawyerese as it is quite possible that Shimano can't prove that they know that the products are fake at the time of making such a statement.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The lack of any statements on the products seems to be normal lawyerese as it is quite possible that Shimano can't prove that they know that the products are fake at the time of making such a statement.
Yeahbut if the site is claiming to be an official Shimano site by using their logo then it’s obviously counterfeit goods.
These fake products have been around for ages and always will be. As @rogerzilla says they are easily spotted and another giveaway is the suspiciously cheap price.

Drago

Legendary Member
Theyre not explicity accusing them of selling fake components

So are the items for sale actually counterfeit, or are they genuine items but Shimano are getting sniffy because someone has acquired a truckload though unauthorised channels and someone somewhere is losing their cut?

Ormis the entire website a scam and not a single componet really exists anywhere?

For us as the potential purchaser the difference is quite significant.

Theyre not explicity accusing them of selling fake components

So are the items for sale actually counterfeit, or are they genuine items but Shimano are getting sniffy because someone has acquired a truckload though unauthorised channels and someone somewhere is losing their cut?

Ormis the entire website a scam and not a single componet really exists anywhere?

For us as the potential purchaser the difference is quite significant.
fair point - will look at things more closely.
In my past as a trade journalist we would often get companies raging against "grey imports", trying via press releases to get us to warn our gentle readers about the supposed perils of such things. Whenever face to face I asked, straight, any company bod to tell me what exactly a grey import was they always went kinda quiet. For a grey import was nothing but a product made by them but intended to be sold in another territory as part of their price-fixing scheme.

Thanks for the OP though @C R - will check out.

GuyBoden

Guru
If they are indeed counterfeit, and Shimano would seem to be suggesting that, and these kind of operations are linked to organised crime how safe would you feel giving your credit card details?
No, I wouldn't pay by credit card, I'd pay by PayPal only. It's mainly fishing equipment on offer, that's what I've seen anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom