Shims on SPD 2 hole cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnny mcgurk

I have recently been diagnosed as having one leg 20 mm longer than the other(or as my doctor rather unkindly said "you have 20mm between your legs"). Consequently I have been advised to have a shoe/bike fitting at my LBS. I am guessing that this will involve shimming the cleat to balance out the leg length difference.
The problem is I wear Specialized BG MTb shoes and have SPD 2 hole cleats on both my road bikes and having a shim would leave the cleat sticking out beyond the sole of the shoe, thus making walking difficult and defeating the object of having recessed cleat.
Any fellow sufferers? Any advice?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
one of my brothers has two inches between his legs (tish-boom) and he's never shimmed, or even shimmied. If you were to look at the thing as a diagram, a tiny amount of extra bend in the knee of the longer leg would take out the difference, as would a tiny bias in your position of the saddle. So, my question is, does this three-quarters of an inch actually affect you now?

OP
OP
J

johnny mcgurk

The answer to your question dellZeqq is I don't know. It's not the leg length difference that causes problems but the way it causes the pelvis to twist. As I have been suffering a great deal of back pain recently, I'm hoping this could be a solution.

jann71

Veteran
Does it not depend on whether the difference is in the femur or tibia?

I had a fractured femur as a child and spent 3 months in traction. My legs seem to be same length but one thigh is slightly longer.

I've found that 1 cleat needs further forward or back can't remember which rather than set in same place.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Top Bottom