Shocking the way the public think of cyclists.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Now maybe this should be in the news section but to me, it's not the story itself. It's the comments made by those who contribute their feelings about cyclists that's the real eye-opener here. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...d-shoving-cyclist-electric-bike.html#comments

As I've always maintained, keep your friends close but keep your enemies closer. One way of knowing the level of hostility you, as a vulnerable road user - no seat-belt, no secure metal cage around you, no air-bag in the event of a collision - face out there is to understand what they're saying about you and the comments made about the victim in this story above is a graphic illustration of some people's feelings towards us.

The Heil know full well that the way they portray us gas-guzzling polluting noise machines on troublesome bicycles will reap rich rewards so their usual ploy is to print a story about a cyclist and sit back to let the invective do their job for them.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's not 'the public', it's a small sub-section of online readers of the Daily Heil, a few keyboard warriors.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
It's not 'the public', it's a small sub-section of online readers of the Daily Heil, a few keyboard warriors.
No, look at the numbers. And I believe it's the most popular of the daily newspapers. This is not 'a few keyboard warriors' at all. This comment 'Cyclists - ALL cyclists are a bloody nuisance and deserve everything they get. They break laws with impunity and think they own the bloody roads and the pavements' getting over 1200 up votes!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is a small sub-section of keyboard warriors on here too.

Folk behind a keyboard.

TBH 5 broken ribs and a smashed shoulder is serious. The cyclist should also go for a civil prosecution for injuries.

12 mph isn't fast, it's not much over freewheeling, especially with electric assist.

We don't know but the cyclist could have been too close - I'm assuming given that they assaulted the rider, they knew damn well he was there.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
the mail readership isn't 'the public' though.
No, you're right. We're the public as well so it was wrong to say everyone BUT 'ALL cyclists are a bloody nuisance' is an opinion that got a very high up vote but obviously I can't justify my remark by turning the same rhetoric back on 'the public'.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I thought it was quite a long sentence, considering that people do worse and aren't jailed at all. Leaving the scene and his wife lying about it probably didn't do him any favours though.

I've never ridden an electric bike. How do they know he was only doing 12mph?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
No, you're right. We're the public as well so it was wrong to say everyone BUT 'ALL cyclists are a bloody nuisance' is an opinion that got a very high up vote but obviously I can't justify my remark by turning the same rhetoric back on 'the public'.
a more accurate title would have been 'shocking the way the Mail readership think of cyclists'

...but those of us who've read a few comments on any DM article wouldn't have found the comments shocking in the least.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
a more accurate title would have been 'shocking the way the Mail readership think of cyclists'

...but those of us who've read a few comments on any DM article wouldn't have found the comments shocking in the least.
It's there now though and although I've tried, I can't change it. I always read the Heil to see what the opinion of their 'readers' are but this one was just too much. Real victim blaming at it's very worst.

Top Bottom