Shoes and cleat fixing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Why oh why are they so different.

Took me a while some years ago to set up my Specialized road shoes.

Then Shimano SPD MTB shoes were a breeze. So much so, bought Shimano MTB boots and just matched the position. Roll on a few years, bought some Shimano Road Boots and did the same.

Got some new road shoes, Gaerne, and the drillings are totally different to the two other road shoes. Got them sorted within three rides. First ride the float was too much inwards so caught the cranks. Stopped and corrected that. Next two rides, adjusted the cleats about 1-2mm further back on the shoe.

Looking at both shoes and their drillings, and allignment, new shoe cleats are quite rotated and further back on the alignment.

In reality, the cleats are in exactly the same position according to my foot.

You'd think we could standardise drillings these days.

Fortunately my knees are quite sensitive to position, so they let me know quite quickly

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It's your age! Everything used to be better, nothing is made the way it used to be, why do they have to keep changing things?

Sound familiar? :tongue:

Slick

Guru
I just changed out my cleats on my road shoes this morning before a ride. I don't think my knees are that sensitive to notice, which may be the difference, but my adjustment is very simple and basic. Slide the fixings as far forward as they go to get as much foot on the pedal as possible, and turn them both in slightly. They may need a tweak over the next couple of rides, but they shouldn't be far away from where I want them.

Pretty much the same tactic on every shoe, but as I said, I'm not that sensitive to minor differences.

My knees are slightly less sensitive since fits have lowered my saddle but I think annoyingly my new commuting SPD's which didn't have a shim (I'd hope I'd get away with it), my gravel shoes (mtb), spd-sl's and Look Keos all do, has overstressed the muscle above my knee at the bottom/ inside of the thigh 👎

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS I really like the Boa fastening on the new disco slippers. So thats a plus.

Felt weird riding as all winter I've been on a MTB commuting with 175's and a wider Q Factor. Jumped on a fast road bike with narrow Q Factor, 170 cranks and new slippers.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Wait till you see my new slippers.

Setting up the cleats was a doddle :tongue:

gbs

Guru
Seriously, re Shimano pedal with two bolt cleat system: Yesterday I struggled to cleat in on my L side (my usual side for uncleating). I admit to occasional simple maintenance routines - chaincleaner and then spray of a light lube. Pedals have been used for at least 15,000 kms. Time for replacement or a prefessional overhaul?

gbs

Guru
The cleats look fine to my untrained eye. I have now read the Shimano instructions. There is a reccomendation to enter with downward and forward pressure; I suspect on Sunday I was try to protect a chronic injury to my L knee and was probably tentative and underplayed the downward component. I tried the cleats/shoes on another bike and the was no difficulty. As is often the case this now appears to be case of operator, not equipment, failure.

Top Bottom