Shoes: MTB vs Road on a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
This "transfer of power" garbage....

So what if a shoe flexes? This will reduce the efficiency of transfer of energy from your leg to the pedal. But the unflex works in the opposite way. It's a closed system, efficiency losses equal efficiency gains.
Why don't people understand? ... the flex obviously creates heat (that's where the 'untransferred' power goes), and it's that that creates hotspots on SDP pedals. (This is why I like SPDs on cold days, as they keep my feet warm, obviously.)

Some cynics might claim that pro cyclists all use the most expensive kit (and the stuff that wears out fastest) because their sponsors tell them to, but I can't believe that to be true. I'm sure Shimano et al would be happy for pro riders to be using a system that is cheap as chips and lasts forever, as it would save them having to continuously supply new stuff - what a bore!

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I've never used SPD's. Keen to try them one day

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I've never used SPD's. Keen to try them one day
Having grown up with toe clips, the first time I used SPDs was a wow moment - so much less faffy. Yes, I got it wrong once or twice (cue comedy moments), but easy really. I wonder if Shimano would uninvent the system if they could: the beauty of the design is its simplicity and longevity, and ease of use. They don't really fit the normal business model for a steady income stream, which (as in razors etc) gets you tied into the system, then requires you to replace parts or tempts you to upgrade regularly.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think that if your shoes are flexing to a sufficient degree and frequency to create any appreciable heat their fatigue life will be measured in minutes, not the years that most of us get from them.

I'm sure Shimano would be aghast at top flight riders using anything except their premium kit - that's the market where they make their biggest profits and which requires to most advertising and exposure. The cheaper.stuff pretty much sells itself due to simply being either the entry point for new users or the cost effective point for those replacing tired old kit.

But the bottom line is like for like, material for material, MTB shoes aren't inherently any any bendier than road or touring footwear.

People should just use what they like or what they feel suits them personally. Justifying the choice with pseudo scientific or performance claims is simply using posh words to spout rubbish.

cd365

Guru
I used to use SPDs, found them to be fine, gave up on them when for the fourth time the shoe came completely away from the cleat (leaving it stuck in the pedal).

vickster

Legendary Member
What shoes...sound like cheap ones, should've taken them back (maybe you did). I've had cleat bolts loosen, but never come away from the shoe

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Have never had that problem with any of my shoes/cleats over the years.
I think you are simply not tightening the screws enough.

Reactions: 4F

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I'd say unless you are a cycling god you aren't going to notice any difference. I can't tell any difference, except I'm less likely to slip and fall on my arris in the cafe when I wear my MTB shoes!

I am a cycling god and can confirm that I notice f all difference :angel:

I have been using SPD's now for over 10 years and in all this time they have only failed once and this was where the cleat disintegrated.

Initially I put this down to the immense torque my legs were generating however on closer inspection the reality was that the cleat finally gave up the ghost after 45,000 miles of use

Last edited:

cd365

Guru
What shoes...sound like cheap ones, should've taken them back (maybe you did). I've had cleat bolts loosen, but never come away from the shoe
It wasn't the shoes, the bolts sheared straight out of the metal

Have never had that problem with any of my shoes/cleats over the years.
I think you are simply not tightening the screws enough.
I tightened them up a lot and used Locknut glue as well, no use, gave up and tried SPD-SLs

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
does it make a difference?

I use MTB shoes on my carbon road bike with SPD pedals

My mate reckons these are heavy compared to road shoes and I'm loosing energy due to the pedal being smaller than say spd sl and the fact that road shoes are generally lighter

Is he right or talking tosh?
Are you a Cat 1 or elite level racer? If yes what he says might matter. If not, not.

Top Bottom