Shop bought "Cyclists Dismount" signs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Locally there was a bit of a carry on about some signs that appeared saying "Cyclists Dismount/ Pedestrian Zone" along a path in a town centre (it's not by a road and is the only route, it's probably just about wide enough to get your horse and cart down in ye olde days) apparently some older chap was really rude to a lady cyclist trying to use it, implying she couldn't read etc. He was the only other person using the route, so enough room. These are mounted on privately owned walls, at both ends of the lane/path, not blue and reflective.
So, has anyone come across similar? Wouldn't it be better to put a polite reminder about safe sharing rather than trying to con people by making up laws. I think the cars drive too fast down my street, I wonder how people would feel if I made up some No entry signs or No motor vehicles signs(and then tried to enforce them!) Should the council ask to take them down?

Attachments

• Cyclists dismount pedestrian zone.jpg
    Cyclists dismount pedestrian zone.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Locally there was a bit of a carry on about some signs that appeared saying "Cyclists Dismount/ Pedestrian Zone" along a path in a town centre (it's not by a road and is the only route, it's probably just about wide enough to get your horse and cart down in ye olde days) apparently some older chap was really rude to a lady cyclist trying to use it, implying she couldn't read etc. He was the only other person using the route, so enough room. These are mounted on privately owned walls, at both ends of the lane/path, not blue and reflective.
So, has anyone come across similar? Wouldn't it be better to put a polite reminder about safe sharing rather than trying to con people by making up laws. I think the cars drive to fast down my street, I wonder how people would feel if I made up some No entry signs or No motor vehicles signs(and then tried to enforce them!) Should the council ask to take them down?

I would definitely complain to the council and have them taken down.

There was a similar situation here in Wales. I saw it on the News site, but can't remember at the moment. If I find it I will post

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I cannot see the perspective of the sign in relation to the lane/path, but if there is no other interpretation than no cycling on the lane/path, I would complain to the council.
Some years ago on a parents evening for child 2, I parked outside someone's house who seemingly unilaterally had decided to extend an unbroken white line beyond a dropped kerb. They left a note on my car. The note was left in their porch and an email to the council ensured the white lines were restored to their original length within a couple of weeks. ^_^

tom73

Guru
Carry on and tell them to stuff it.
Stuff like this is becoming more common on private land and areas owned by shopping centres.
Anything they don't like and a up go's a sign or get over stuffed up staff having a go any thing to controlling the great unwashed.
Or as we like to call them the public.

“Cyclist dismount” signs, are just that. Signs, with no legal standing. They might as well as the words “please, pretty please, won’t somebody think of the children”.

OP
OP
semislickstick
I cannot see the perspective of the sign in relation to the lane/path, but if there is no other interpretation than no cycling on the lane/path, I would complain to the council.
Some years ago on a parents evening for child 2, I parked outside someone's house who seemingly unilaterally had decided to extend an unbroken white line beyond a dropped kerb. They left a note on my car. The note was left in their porch and an email to the council ensured the white lines were restored to their original length within a couple of weeks. ^_^
The signs are facing and mounted above the path/lane at both ends, so I don't think they could try to claim it's meant for their own land, two different properties.

Top Bottom