Shopping online

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
Why is it when buying products online most retailers expect me to set up what they call an "account". All they need is what I want, where to send it and my payment details. That's it, end of story. I don't want to waste time filling out long forms, thinking up (and having to remember) usernames and passwords. I have been specifically looking at clip on mudguards tonight and four traders have missed out on my custom because of this silly "account" obsession. I pay by PayPal so no more information is required by the retailers.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It's to make your return custom easier .... and to send you lots of promotions for stuff you never new you needed.
........ Love Amazon ^_^

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
It's to make your return custom easier .... and to send you lots of promotions for stuff you never new you needed.
........ Love Amazon ^_^

Plus all the money they make from referrals selling on your details, even though they all deny it.

Pat "5mph"

Plus all the money they make from referrals selling on your details, even though they all deny it.
No, they can't do that (should not) but you need to remember to tick the box about not wanting your email to be passed on.

Then having set the feckin' 'account' up that's still not good enough for some retailers, you have to acknowledge you are indeed who you say you are by waiting for their email, then clicking the link in it to activate your 'account', feckin' feckers :cursing:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
No, they can't do that (should not) but you need to remember to tick the box about not wanting your email to be passed on.
Actually you should read each section next to each check box because the bastards are wise to that now, and you have to untick some boxes to stop them! I think the law should be changed to make that illegal. Everything should default to opted-out and you should have to deliberately opt-in where you want to.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Then having set the feckin' 'account' up that's still not good enough for some retailers, you have to acknowledge you are indeed who you say you are by waiting for their email, then clicking the link in it to activate your 'account', feckin' feckers :cursing:
That's a legal condition in some countries and it is to check that other people haven't signed you up. If you didn't have to confirm, then spammers could sign you up for thousands of things without you knowing about it.

Pat "5mph"

Actually you should read each section next to each check box because the bastards are wise to that now, and you have to untick some boxes to stop them! I think the law should be changed to make that illegal. Everything should default to opted-out and you should have to deliberately opt-in where you want to.
Yes, you are right there, but Amazon is still cool ^_^

Pat "5mph"

That's a legal condition in some countries and it is to check that other people haven't signed you up. If you didn't have to confirm, then spammers could sign you up for thousands of things without you knowing about it.
Right again: I do a lot of on line shopping, because I hate shopping ^_^ even bought a whole kitchen and a bathroom suite on line.

I know why they do it CJ, but if what HovR says about CRC is correct then it's possible to get round it. Then again have you Googled the words CRC, credit, fraud and card recently? :ohmy: Perhaps it's not such a bad thing after all :whistle:^_^

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
Yes, you are right there, but Amazon is still cool ^_^

Amazon have what I want at the right price, but the seller uses City Link for delivery. I have never yet had a delivery from those tossers. If you are out they leave a card with a phone number to re-arrange delivery. It would be OK if they ever actually answered that phone. I ended up twice making a 50 mile round trip to collect my items from the depot.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I know why they do it CJ, but if what HovR says about CRC is correct then it's possible to get round it. Then again have you Googled the words CRC, credit, fraud and card recently? :ohmy: Perhaps it's not such a bad thing after all :whistle:^_^

CRC are ok just make sure you pay by paypal then no one has any chance of ever getting access to your credit card details, so even if there is fraud going on it wont affect you,

Are you sure it's Amazon though, and not some random seller hawking their goods via Amazon Marketplace. I've never had any success with the Marketplace thing, granted I've only tried a couple of times, but each time I wasn't aware I wasn't actually dealing with Amazon until I came to chase the order up. This was a number of years ago now, so perhaps it's more transparent now, but it put me right off.

Top Bottom