Shortage of Bike spares in future

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
Maybe the truth is that you now can't do something that probably wasn't the best option anyway. I have purchased Brooks but never direct from Italy.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
International distribution and pricing is a complete mystery. I bought a few hundred quid's worth of Danish manufactured loudspeaker drive units a few years ago. There was a British distributor. It was still cheaper for me to buy them from a retailer in California, pay all the shipping costs, local taxes, VAT and import tariffs than buy them in the UK. Madness.

screenman

Legendary Member
International distribution and pricing is a complete mystery. I bought a few hundred quid's worth of Danish manufactured loudspeaker drive units a few years ago. There was a British distributor. It was still cheaper for me to buy them from a retailer in California, pay all the shipping costs, local taxes, VAT and import tariffs than buy them in the UK. Madness.

It costs a lot of money to do business in the UK.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Reading the article I think you are correct if you want one shipped by SA from Italy to you can't. But there is a UK distributor that continues to supply the UK and the saddle does not need to go via Italy.
Did the saddle ever go via Italy or was it just the order going through an Italian web shop?

I don't know but imagine buying direct from the brooks website is not going to be cheapest.
In most cases, how can paying for Extra UK and a shop as well be cheaper than buying direct?

As often the truth is a bit more nuanced than the press make out.
Oh I think the press were clear this time, but some Leave supporters are trying to make out they said something else so are liars.

lane

Veteran
In most cases, how can paying for Extra UK and a shop as well be cheaper than buying direct?

Often is the case as the manufacturer does not want to undercut distributors and retailers of their products.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There was a documentary about the high prices of goods imported into the UK, about fifteen years ago, maybe more. It's title was "Treasure Island".
Now, I buy from China if I can.
Before importing became easier (internet, international bank cards, customs union, single market), electronics products were routinely priced for the UK by simply swapping the $ to a £, at a time when £1=$1.70 or more (early 1990s). Others older than me may be able to say if that happened in the 80s or 70s.

screenman

Legendary Member
Before importing became easier (internet, international bank cards, customs union, single market), electronics products were routinely priced for the UK by simply swapping the $ to a £, at a time when £1=$1.70 or more (early 1990s). Others older than me may be able to say if that happened in the 80s or 70s.

I can say due to carriage cost import duty and the value of the £ it is a lot harder to match it now.

lane

Veteran
I think that has often been the case with many products but partly reflects the higher cost of doing business in the UK along with taxes etc as previously explained by @screenman

Top Bottom