Shortening bike's REACH

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A neat option is a set of riser handlebars. You can get the specialized hover bars for around £50. They give you an extra 15mm of height.

You can get a flared gravel version as well.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The reach measurement of a bicycle is fixed, the reach measurement of a person isn't and bodies can adapt to change providing it isn't too extreme.

A small adjustment like that could be made by simply moving the levers back on the bars a tiny amount or rolling the bars a couple degrees forward, without sliding the saddle forward (which is a completely daft suggestion) It would also be the easiest and cheapest thing to try at first before splashing out on stems and bars.

Last edited:

Chislenko

Veteran
As age sets in and my level of suppleness gets less I have gradually gone from a 110 to an 80.

I know people will have far greater knowledge than me about "twitchy" steering but from my perspective I have not noticed an 'appeth of difference in the steering / ride.

There are dropbars and there are dropbars. There was a fashion a few years ago for very deep drops, then for shallow drops.
My fav drops are an older touring style with shallow drop and a slight rearward bend at the tops like:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebars/390-diacompe-ene-touring-drop-handlebars-260mm-clamp-silver/

This reduces reach a little.
Changing the stem of a med sized bike from typical 10 to 8cm will have very minor effect on handling.
Adjustable stem can be used to identify your best position.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I wish I could try, I would definitely if there is an option. The bike I'm buying is online unfortunately, as not much choices available at local bike shops :sad:
So you are spending £???? On a bike you have not tried or even sat on !!!!

So once you get it you can ride it and try it then decide.

Crazy times

OP
OP
K

kingspirit

So you are spending £???? On a bike you have not tried or even sat on !!!!

So once you get it you can ride it and try it then decide.

Crazy times
Well the choice in local bike shops this days is limited. You can buy online and in case the size isn't right you can always send it back (some shops organise the courier collection). This is what I did with Fuji Jari, received, assembled, felt that the size isnt right. Sent it back

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Ride and see before changing anything

OP
OP
K

kingspirit

Shortening a stem can change other things, like the height of the bars.

This website is very good for working out the results.

http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

Personally, I’d ensure that the saddle is in the right place first then adjust reach by fitting an appropriate stem. I set the saddle by sitting on the bike and spinning the cranks a number of times. I then drop a plumb line over the front of my knee and it should dissect the pedal axle.

Remember that changing the stem length will have an impact on the handling of the bike but this should be minimal unless you are going to extremes.
Magic tool ! Thanks!

si_c

Guru
Swapping a 100mm stem for a 90mm stem won't appreciably change the handling of a bike or the position you ride in.

That being said I would try the reverse - fitting a 1cm longer stem to your existing road bike to lengthen the reach on that, see if it does make the difference you are hoping for, buying a bike and hoping that you can tweak the geometry to fit is potentially an expensive mistake.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
How about ...

1649144778001.png

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a 50 or 60mm stem on my roadbike.
You can and do in some circumstances but it's a bit like toe overlap, you quickly adapt.
I'm sure, but the bike in the photo has pretty much no stem at all

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom