Shortening bike's REACH

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kingspirit

Hi All,

I was wondering what is the best way to shorten the bike reach if the reach is to long.

Bike reach is 39.1 I need to make it around 38-38.5
Current stem is 100mm (10cm), +/- 7 degrees

Is it better to swap just stem or put the dropbars with shorter reach or both ?

Cheers!

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You don't say what stem you have on now, if it's got any extension on it. New stem would be the obvious route if that works.

All uphill

Still rolling along
The two immediate options are to either:

Use a shorter stem

Or

Move the saddle forwards. This will also change the relationship between you feet and bum while cycling which complicates things.

How have you come to the conclusion that you need to reduce reach?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Bear in mind, if you shorten the stem, the steering becomes more "twitchy" as you bring the steering pivot closer to the caster point. Long stems allow for long, relaxed, lazy steering. Short stems are more up front and twitchy.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
An 80mm stem would mean the reach is within your ball park.
The standover discussion is over here:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/bike-standover-height.284236/page-2#post-6702431
:smile:

OP
OP
K

kingspirit

The two immediate options are to either:

Use a shorter stem

Or

Move the saddle forwards. This will also change the relationship between you feet and bum while cycling which complicates things.

How have you come to the conclusion that you need to reduce reach?
Well to be honest not so sure how I came to a conclusion :biggrin: I had a Fuji Jari, the reach was 37.2cm, felt small for me, the was size M, overall size was a bit small, strange even though my height is 176-177. So I thought maybe better reach will be around 38-38.5. But the bike I want is size L (Vitus Substance) has a reach 39.1, that's why I'm thinking it might be to long.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Bear in mind, if you shorten the stem, the steering becomes more "twitchy" as you bring the steering pivot closer to the caster point. Long stems allow for long, relaxed, lazy steering. Short stems are more up front and twitchy.
The first road bike I bought had a 110mm stem, and I felt hopelessly "stretched out". As a novice, I had no idea how a road bike should feel. Anyway, I got fed up and bought an 80mm stem which worked for me for a long time with absolutely no steering problems. Years later, I'm back to a 110mm stem having got used to the riding position. Just find a stem length and angle that feels comfortable. Not much else matters unless you want to turn professional.

SydZ

Über Member
Shortening a stem can change other things, like the height of the bars.

This website is very good for working out the results.

http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

Personally, I’d ensure that the saddle is in the right place first then adjust reach by fitting an appropriate stem. I set the saddle by sitting on the bike and spinning the cranks a number of times. I then drop a plumb line over the front of my knee and it should dissect the pedal axle.

Remember that changing the stem length will have an impact on the handling of the bike but this should be minimal unless you are going to extremes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom