Shortening of daylight hours and cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peugeotrider

Probably an issue raised before but as we enter September and our daylight hours are rapidly on the decline,what alternatives does everyone opt for?
I work until 5.30 pm Mon - Fri but I really do not feel safe on the roads after dark. ATM, can get out on the bike safely until around 830. Really going to miss the summer weather as we head into winter. Unfortunately,I wouldn't have the finances to get a full zwift etc set up so I would imagine it will be weekend cycling for me.
Am thinking of going to a couple of exercise classes through the week but just not the same as a couple of evening rides on the bike.
Anyone any good alternative suggestions?

Johnno260

Veteran
to be honest if possible early mornings are really nice even if it’s dark the traffic is at a minimum it’s my favourite time of day to cycle all year round.

decent lights are a must, I stick to routes I know when it’s darker so I know where potholes etc are.

I may get a Proviz gillet though as it’s still too warm for my full jacket.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have really good lights, my reflective ‘space turnip’ gilet (or jacket when I zip the sleeves back on).
I am fortunate that I have good cycle lanes locally.
I rather like night riding. I avoid the city like the plague. It’s not the cars, it’s the scooters and food delivery bikes and mopeds that’ll get you.

Don't need Zwift. Just a cheap ass bike trainer from Amazon.
1630436272058.png

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Probably an issue raised before but as we enter September and our daylight hours are rapidly on the decline,what alternatives does everyone opt for?
I work until 5.30 pm Mon - Fri but I really do not feel safe on the roads after dark. ATM, can get out on the bike safely until around 830. Really going to miss the summer weather as we head into winter. Unfortunately,I wouldn't have the finances to get a full zwift etc set up so I would imagine it will be weekend cycling for me.
Am thinking of going to a couple of exercise classes through the week but just not the same as a couple of evening rides on the bike.

I think your key word is "feel" - even though you feel less safe after dark, you're probably safer as with good lights and reflectives you're probably more likely to be seen by an inattentive motorist than you works be during the day. I write as someone who (until covid) commuted 5 days a week ago year round.

The only extra danger you face is ice when frosts come.

CXRAndy

Guru
Get yourself some quality lights front and rear. Front lights these days can easily light up a road even an unlit road like a christmas tree. Rear lights can be seen from over a mile away. NiteRider 750 front is an excellent

Buck

Guru
I bought a good set of front and rear lights as well as one of the highly reflective jackets very similar to Proviz which makes me more visible and feel safer.

The hardest part is not the traffics/other road users but potholes so on a night ride I will reign in my speed a little and make sure my front light is far enough ahead on the unlit sections I ride.

I also have my turbo set up for those nights (and days!) when the weather is so poor I cannot convince myself that going out is good for me!

Milzy

Guru
Zwift. Fast is fun.
Seriously though exposure lights and high viz.

Top Bottom