Shortening of daylight hours and cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cirrus

Veteran
It's slightly more dangerous this time of year according to the EU commission, though the latest numbers I can find seem to be back in 2018...
1630500694200.png

From the PDF here: bfs20xx_cyclists.pdf (europa.eu) which is pretty interesting reading if you like your facts n figures.

That needs a denominator to be useful e.g. number of journeys by month, or mileage, or something.
Clearly there is more cycling in those months!

Meanwhile I've seen figures that cycling in the dark is less dangerous (per journey? per mile? I forget, sorry!). They are probably different cyclists, so should be taken with a pinch of salt ... etc ...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Good lights and reflectives, especially "moving" reflectives such as tabs on legwear are really good at attracting attention of drivers. I think that at night, your more visible to drivers. Just make sure you have two rear lights, just in case one fails unknowingly.

It can be good fun. You see much more wildlife; rabbits/hares, owls and deer

Remember if heading East that you might not be visible to oncoming traffic as well.
Bunny hopping a badger on a pitch black lane wasnt my idea of fun ;)

Alex321

Veteran
It's slightly more dangerous this time of year according to the EU commission, though the latest numbers I can find seem to be back in 2018...
View attachment 607101

From the PDF here: bfs20xx_cyclists.pdf (europa.eu) which is pretty interesting reading if you like your facts n figures.
That graph probably fairly closely mirrors the number/length of bike rides I would have thought. A lot fewer people ride in the winter than in the summer.

pjd57

Veteran
An exercise bike will get you the exercise you want but it just ain't the same as riding through the streets. It's like comparing a one-slice processed cheese sandwich with a full-blown bacon, lettuce and tomato on toast sandwich.
An exercise bike won't get you to work , shops , football , or wherever else it is you need / want to be.
Lights and possibly some route alterations work for me.

Reactions: C R

Johnno260

Veteran
In the darker wetter months I stick to routes I know, and I slow down.
The road surfaces are one of your worst enemies currently.
Good lights, spare battery/lights and good reflective, I have Proviz jackets and arm warmers.

Top Bottom