Shorts and tights recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
BTwin are good - my experience suggest perhaps avoid the cheapest 300 series ones, but the 500 and 700 series ones are good for all day riding.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I'm not entirely sure what I've done to deserve this. Decathlon have an excellent range of good value cycling apparel which I occasionally purchase. That is all
Exactly, and I was merely pointing out to @Crackle that he should avail himself of some of your product knowledge to ensure he selected the correct good value cycling apparel. ;)

I'll leave the cheap DB shots to @I like Skol.... :angel:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I got some of the DHB basic shorts in the post today. I mainly bought them to have a look and get the sizing right. They seem well made for the money but the pad seems thin and more importantly, quite soft. Quite inferior to the bibs I returned recently, which is kind of to be expected as they were over twice the price. I'm wondering how that compares to the Aeron pad?

I've yet to try 'em on but at least one pair of these is going back as it's two sizes.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I'll keep the medium in the basic DHB because even with my doubt about the pad, it's still much better than the ones I'm currently using. I'll probably get a pair of the Aerons as well.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Thread resurrection time, it's time for some new togs!
How you getting on with the DHBs @Crackle ? Did you get the "shorts" or the "classics" and did you bother getting the "Aerons" in the end? :okay:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Thread resurrection time, it's time for some new togs!
How you getting on with the DHBs @Crackle ? Did you get the "shorts" or the "classics" and did you bother getting the "Aerons" in the end? :okay:
The bog standard DHB shorts. I now have three of them and have replaced the old tatty Aldi ones. Mrs C got the classic ladies and the pad is a bit better in that and she says, the most comfortable pad she's had so far, including some Gore inners. I've got no problems with the ones I bought, good fit, comfortable for the majority of my rides which are in the 1 to 3 hour range 90% of the time. I'm carrying an extra kilo or two at the mo, which is just enough to roll the front of the shorts at the top, not an issue I had last summer and is the difference between shorts and bibs. These Chocolate thins I'm consuming as I type won't be helping with that either!

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
The bog standard DHB shorts. I now have three of them and have replaced the old tatty Aldi ones. Mrs C got the classic ladies and the pad is a bit better in that and she says, the most comfortable pad she's had so far, including some Gore inners. I've got no problems with the ones I bought, good fit, comfortable for the majority of my rides which are in the 1 to 3 hour range 90% of the time. I'm carrying an extra kilo or two at the mo, which is just enough to roll the front of the shorts at the top, not an issue I had last summer and is the difference between shorts and bibs. These Chocolate thins I'm consuming as I type won't be helping with that either!
That's fabulous, thank you. Same as that with the Aldi shorts, although they've done a damn fine job for many thousands of miles. My pack of mini pork pies isn't helping my cause. I think I'll take Mrs C's recommendation and go for the classic. How did you find the sizing, did you just order the ones which were supposed to fit?

OP
OP
C

Crackle

That's fabulous, thank you. Same as that with the Aldi shorts, although they've done a damn fine job for many thousands of miles. My pack of mini pork pies isn't helping my cause. I think I'll take Mrs C's recommendation and go for the classic. How did you find the sizing, did you just order the ones which were supposed to fit?
It seems to size about right. A medium in the shorts fits whereas a large in the tops is what I would order. Both of us ordered two sizes and sent back the one that didn't fit. The returns process is relatively straightforward, so there's no problems with doing this.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
It seems to size about right. A medium in the shorts fits whereas a large in the tops is what I would order. Both of us ordered two sizes and sent back the one that didn't fit. The returns process is relatively straightforward, so there's no problems with doing this.
That's great, thank you again, your replies are really appreciated :smile:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Right, job done, Classics ordered. I wonder if they'll make me faster like new trainers used to many many moons ago?

BTwin are good - my experience suggest perhaps avoid the cheapest 300 series ones, but the 500 and 700 series ones are good for all day riding.

While I am a fan of Decathlon's B'twin label, I have found fitting varies between the grades. A point for the OP to note.

I have 2 pairs of their 500 bib tight range in a medium from 2015 normal price £40. The pad quality is okay, and I find them warm enough for winter rides. The pad fit is a bit uncomfortable due to the leg length (gap between crotch & pad). I also have to fold up the bottom of legs by about 3 inches. If I was 5' 11" instead of 5' 8" they would be a perfect fit. (Small size did not fit me at all).

In contrast I recently tried their 100 range bib tights also in a medium. They were such a perfect fit all round that I bought at least 5 pairs.

Still in a medium size but 3 inch shorter than the 500 range-so do try them on of course.

Note: I feel the cold and am still wearing the 100 range big tights in this warm weather. Obviously the material is thinner that their 3/5/700 ranges.

Top Bottom