Shorts bit-of-string question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm currently using inexpensive Planet X 365 bibshorts ( http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXP3BS/planet-x-pro-line-365-x-bib-shorts ) and a Spa cycles Nidd saddle that has over 2000 miles on it, so is broken in. My bike, a Hewitt tourer, was fitted to me by the man himself. I cycle regularly, often over 100 Km, occasionally up to 170 Km and sometimes on consecutive days.

I experience some discomfort in the sit bone area after about 50 Km or so and mitigate this by standing on the pedals for a few strokes if on a long climb, or by standing for periods as I descend. Its really not bad and if it were not possible to gain an improvement in comfort then it wouldn't really be a concern.

So, in the opinion of the panel, am I likely to notice much difference in comfort by investing in more expensive bibshorts please, say around £100 or a bit more if necessary?

Thanks

Graham

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Shorts, like saddles and shoes are all very personal. What works for others wont necessarily work for you. My most comfy bib shorts are a pair of Wiggle DHB which I find more comfy then a pair of bibs of which I paid over 3 times more for.

So imvho no you wont find any improvement by paying more money, then again you may. Only you will know.
You may also find improvement by trying different shorts at a lower price bracket.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
You might want to get your bike fit checked again, or at least look at your riding position. The symptoms you describe sound like they could be caused by poor posture, ie riding with a hunched back.

I don't think the shorts are the problem.

S-Express

So, in the opinion of the panel, am I likely to notice much difference in comfort by investing in more expensive bibshorts please, say around £100 or a bit more if necessary?

You are assuming that the bib shorts are the problem, when it could equally be the saddle itself. Either way, throwing money at the problem is unlikely to be the answer.

Sharky

Guru
If you are only experiencing discomfort after 50k (2 hours +), then it sounds more like tired legs and the full weight of your body resting on the saddle.
When fresh, your legs should be bearing a lot of the weight, especially when descending/freewheeling.

Good luck

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Wot they said ^^^^^

However.....I too have a couple of pairs of the Planet X shorts, and I've found that they don't wear particularly well. The pad itself is pretty good at first, but tends to compact with riding/washing and becomes quite a lot firmer, to the detriment of comfort. Spose this is the same of most shorts, but seems particularly to affect the planet x ones.

Both my pairs have been relegated to commuting duty, as they're no longer comfy enough for long days in the saddle.

Globalti

Legendary Member
A thin firm pad is fine if the saddle shape suits you. A thick squidgy pad can make you sweat and can allow your sit bones to sink in, transferring weight to soft tissue.

Perhaps a small adjustment in the angle of the saddle would be worth a try ? Or does the saddle need a little more tension now that it's broken in ?
Or you might simply have to accept that another model of saddle would suit you better. Unfortunately you can spend a small fortune buying and discarding saddles before you find the Goldilocks one.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Leather sadles like Brooks and Nidd move with time and occasional tweaks to thir positioning can be part of the ownership experience to maintain optimal comfort.

If it's a Brooks I'd recommend moving it off your seatpost and positioning it in the bin. You can then get something comfortable, rather than a medieval torture device with the mass of a small country.

Top Bottom