shorts for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jags

Guru
altough im not a fan of baggie shorts i think they would be better for touring,im thinking of wearing padded undershorts boxers like altura,
ok hear's my problem im not the tallest man and baggies make me feel like a total fred so do you guys know of baggie shorts that's not so baggie if you know what i mean ,and dosen't cost the earth,thanks

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I wore lycra padded shorts on tour but always wore some board short type things over the top - I look like a weirdo in lycra!! Baggies are much more normal.

Could you find some bog standard board shorts to wear over your lycra numbers? The kind you'd wear normallly and not feel like a fred. (What is a fred??)

snorri

Legendary Member
Do you really need padded undershorts?
Just wear ordinary undershorts and ordinary shorts and that will leave plenty of space to let the wind blow through and keep you cool.:sad:

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
thanks all, well mikeitup i think they will do the job just fine.
snorri im wearing padding shorts since i started cycling im not going to change now besides its so much better on the as,,,,,?.
cathryn thanks i just think the under shorts as in jocks or briefs would be much easer to wash and dry than cycling shorts oh a fred is a nice way of saying wally.

Percy

I wore North Face lightweight/walking type shorts over padded Altura boxers for nine months last year. They saw me right from 40 degree Greece to wet Austria and were good for 'off the bike' as well. I think I got them from Cotswolds, but any outdoor place will have some decent not-too-baggy, quick drying, lightweight options.

dragon72

Guru
I wear the Altura padded boxers too, under regular cargo shorts. I call them nappies. With the way they feel, I have to remind myself not to "let it go" unless I'm on the throne, though.

campagman

Guru
A tip that I think is good is not to wear the same pr of shorts two days running, or same pair of padded pants for 2 days. No two prs are the same so having 2 different pairs helps to vary the load. I mean move the load around your bum so no particular area gets the pressure every day. I hope that makes sense.

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
perfect sense i always switch shorts for the next day's cycling ,so i intend buying two pair padded boxers and chainge every other day hopefully that will keep things wright.

snorri

Legendary Member
jags said:
snorri im wearing padding shorts since i started cycling im not going to change now besides its so much better on the as,,,,,?.
If you don't try without the padding, then you will never know. I tried the padded shorts once, but found the padding just did not leave enough space for everything down there.:thumbsup:. I have just finished a 2K km tour, with no padding and no pain anywhere.:ohmy:

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
thanks snorri but your not talking me into that one im sticking with my padded shorts thank you very much, no i think i'll go with the not so baggie shorts and couple padded briefs the briefs should be much easy'r to clean and dry hopefully.
btw where did you tour,

P.H

Über Member
Polaris make an undershort that's half way between fully padded and unpadded, using a thin fleece.
http://www.polaris-apparel.co.uk//category-6610/product-17366//G.html

I prefer these for days which include a bit of time off the bike as well as on. The other advantages over lycra shorts is they dry in half the time and pack a lot smaller. I have a choice of shorts to wear over the top, as long as there's no prominant seams they don't have to be cycling specific.

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
good stuff folks loads of advice ,i will pop down to my lbs and see if there anthing worth buying .(i doubt it)

Top Bottom