Shorts or undershorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randommoose

Über Member
Hi,

Just a quick question - I am thinking of getting padded shorts and don't know whether to get shorts or undershorts. What are the differences? I will always be wearing them under something else.

I am also very short of money at the moment so would not be able to consider anything which costs too much (I think my max would be about £30).

Oh, I am female too.

Moose

MePower

My good lady wears the padded pants type, (wouldnt be seen dead in lycra) as she can wear them under normal clothing, commuting, cycling to the pub on a sunday etc. She would never go on the bike if she had to use racing shorts!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
R

Randommoose

Über Member
I don't mind the look of lycra, the reason for wearing them under something else is because I have scarring on one leg so cannot wear anything less than 3/4 length.

What I want to know is if the undershorts work as well as the normal shorts or are they thinner padding or what?

Moose

aJohnson

I don't know about undershorts, but I wear some bib shorts under some regular shorts and I find them extremely comfort. Their is a big difference between lycra shorts and lycra bib shorts I've found, bib shorts are alot better for comfort sizing.

ASC1951

Guru
According to Corinne Dennis' website http://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/underwear.html the padding is the same thickness. Women on here give her 11/10 for helpfulness, so it might be worth a ring.

I can see that it might be more of an issue for a woman, but those that I know with big scars do absolutely nothing to conceal them, taking the view that anyone who knows them no longer notices and anyone who doesn't know them doesn't really matter. And that Amanda Redman does more than get by, in a profession where you would expect it to be a problem.

My 50-odd stitches down my face are just part of the work in progress of who I am. Eventually I may get round to wearing a helmet.

bonj2

Randommoose said:
Hi,

Just a quick question - I am thinking of getting padded shorts and don't know whether to get shorts or undershorts. What are the differences? I will always be wearing them under something else.

I am also very short of money at the moment so would not be able to consider anything which costs too much (I think my max would be about £30).

Oh, I am female too.

Moose

not really much point advising if you've already decided you're determined to do the wrong thing! ;) :thumbsup:

From the ones I've got - got the undershorts from Corinne Dennis as well as the shorts - if you are going to be wearing them underneath something get the undershorts. They are more like... large underwear - whereas the shorts are longer in the leg - and so for example would (IMO) be uncomfortable wearing under tighter fitting clothes than the undershorts. Also, the less fabric (if you are wearing underneath something else) the cooler things will be.

However I'm pretty sure the padding is different in the two options - one is a fleecy type thing the other is an insert. Thickness may be the same but the material - on mine at least - is different.

Also, and on the brighter side - on Corinne Dennis stuff at least the undershorts are £20 where the shorts are just under £40... so the undershorts are in your pricerange.

Additionally, this may just be me though, I found the shorts (sorry to harp on about Corinne Dennis here but she's the only pair I've got) I had to get in a size 10 as the size 8 was too tight around my thighs. In retrospect I am actually a size 8 - the 10 is actually too loose around my waist, but the new reflective piping on the thigh doesn't stretch so it makes things a tighter fit.
This is not a problem with the undershorts, where I'm a perfectly happy size 8.

Oh, forgot to say... I've also got a padded 'skort' from Minx. It was this one. There is an inbuilt liner short type thing on the inside, which has pretty decent padding in it.
it seems you can buy the liner on its own (maybe not the exact same one, but one with the same padding) here

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
bonj said:
not really much point advising if you've already decided you're determined to do the wrong thing! :biggrin: :wacko:

Nothing wrong with wearing lycra cycle shorts under other cloths if that is what she wants to do. Why not try and be helpful for a change bonj... :biggrin:

Another option is to get padded baggy shorts, if you don't feel comfortable with wearing lycra...

Fiona N

Veteran
Liner shorts are great - like you say, if you're going to wear them under something why go to the expense of flash lycra shorts.
I actually got several pairs of liners of 'free' - I bought mtb-type 3/4 (capri) shorts and the liners came with them and are detachable but I don't wear them on the recumbents that I usually ride. They're getting more wear now as I ride uprights again. The liner shorts are lighter than normal shorts - often more meshy stuff that fits nicely and stays put. Definitely recommended

(Ignore Bonj :wacko:)

bonj2

HJ said:
Nothing wrong with wearing lycra cycle shorts under other cloths if that is what she wants to do. Why not try and be helpful for a change bonj... :rolleyes:

Another option is to get padded baggy shorts, if you don't feel comfortable with wearing lycra...

Well there is. what's the actual function of the "over"shorts? None. That's why cyclists don't tend to wear them.

aJohnson

bonj said:
Well there is. what's the actual function of the "over"shorts? None. That's why cyclists don't tend to wear them.

I wear shorts over my lycra, I do this because at the moment my legs are extremely thin and the lycra at the ends is actually baggy.

der alt

Undershorts for me ,i have a pair of touring shorts with the padded liner and they are as uncomfortable as a hedgehog in yer breeks :tongue: . i usually wear a pair of baggy shorts over the top or Ron Hill tights in colder weather plus if it's too warm you can whip off the over shorts and just ride with the undies on ..

Top Bottom