Should a teacher commute by bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thomas

the tank engine
guitarpete247 said:
I'm a Supply teacher and am currently working in a school that I could cycle to. My other half says that the only teachers that should cycle to work are young, fit PE teachers. anyone else is fair game to the Pee being taken.
What does anyone else think. I'm 53 and the not the most slender but trying to lose the pounds and stay fit. I'm trying to do the miles after work.

When I was in school (only a few years ago), we'd of taken the mikey out of you for cycling. Though, if the students have some sort of respect for you it'll probably only be good banter. Worst case you'll get a few "too poor for a car" jokes which I'm sure at 53 you're old enough to handle :biggrin:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I don't see any reason why not. School kids will always try and find some reason to 'extract the urine' from teachers. You might as well have them do it for something you enjoy doing :biggrin:.

I would avoid the full-lycra look though as I think that would be more noticable to the kids than you cycling.

Also don't forget the 'you're mad' astonishment they will have the first time you arrive in a massive rain storm/snow.

Zippy

Seriously, if I was that concerned about school kids taking the piss, I would consider another job than Supply Teacher, life's too short for that kinda stress.

Just take the Pink Floyd stance: "You - yes YOU behind the bike sheds. STAND STILL LADDIE!!"

Sod them; an' get on yer bike!

(god - I hate kids)

buggi

Bird Saviour
definitely cycle. then if anyone takes the pee tell them you want them to do a presentation to the rest of the class on the pros and cons of cycling. that will get them thinking.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
'On yer byke'

I think if you can share the kids' humour and laugh with them, you'll be respected more and they will soon back off.

If you get visibly embarassed, the kids will notice and increase the p1sstake.

As one of the other posters said, practice beforehand. Get some miles in at the weekend and get your base fitness up. You don't want to be wobbling in front of them,.

thomas

the tank engine
buggi said:
definitely cycle. then if anyone takes the pee tell them you want them to do a presentation to the rest of the class on the pros and cons of cycling. that will get them thinking.

I think it would probably bore most school children :biggrin:

Debian

Moodyman said:
'On yer byke'

I think if you can share the kids' humour and laugh with them, you'll be respected more and they will soon back off.

If you get visibly embarassed, the kids will notice and increase the p1sstake.

As one of the other posters said, practice beforehand. Get some miles in at the weekend and get your base fitness up. You don't want to be wobbling in front of them,.

+1

I also arrive quite early so I can have a shower and get changed into the suit in good time.

That doesn't help at chucking out time though as I get changed into the lycra and pootle off amongst loads of kids who don't bat an eyelid and some staff (and parents) who think I'm insane - especially if it's chucking it down and blowing a gale! :biggrin:

It really doesn't matter - I do what I want and what feels good for me. I take no notice of what others think.

shippers

I cycle to school/work. 13 miles through the middle of Leeds. All the kids know- I sometimes overtake one of the busses going down through headingley on the way home.
The kids think I'm a bit insane; I get the wee extracted a fair bit- esp in the winter, wandering in wearing tights, high viz and a thin layer of ice, but it's very much a begrudging respect ribbing I get.

"Sir, I've just got a bike. What sort of speed do you do on the flat" asks big year 10 (15yrs) lad in front of friends.
"Oh, it depends on lots of things, wind speed and distance. When I've done more than 5 or 6 miles and I'm warmed up, anywahere from about 18 to 22 mph. Why?"
"Oh, no reason..." replies shrinking yr 10 lad in front of smirking friends.

I'm also about 2 stone lighter than I was, teach History, not PE, early 30's. Get on your bike. Be the slightly barmy teacher that has a laugh with the kids.
Then bollock them and give them all detention...

shippers

Oh, there's also a group of about 6 of us from school doing the Great Yorkshire Bike Ride in a few weeks. 6 from a teaching staff of 40ish isn't a bad %!

c2c

redredrobin
mrs c2c is a deputy head, this making her open to even more of the get off and milk it type comments. but she still rides her laydeeeees style ktm to work bright yellow jacket, helmet on. ride your bike ignore the rinsing......:troll:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I would suspect those that say "do it" have never worked that closely with "other peoples children" and probably don’t understand or have experience of the pressure and anxiety that kids can place on you...after all, they're just kids, right?

So, I would say that if you already command their respect (and possibly a little fear) then ride.

If you don’t yet, then it's probably going to be a tough ride (excuse the pun), so prepare yourself

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I beg to differ.

Both my parents are teachers (my Dad in my secondary school), my sister is a teacher, and I was going to be before decided I could earn more and have an easier life in my current career. I'm also currently a cub leader and have worked with scouts and explorer scouts.

Even if you don't do things you think kids will pick on, they'll always find something. To be fair I think the jibes were easier to brush off than the numerous broken windows our house suffered as we lived in the catchment area of my Dad's school.

Top Bottom