Should a teacher commute by bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bandini

Moodyman said:
'On yer byke'

I think if you can share the kids' humour and laugh with them, you'll be respected more and they will soon back off.

If you get visibly embarassed, the kids will notice and increase the p1sstake.

Definitely.

And as for making them do a presentation on it. Nah!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I haven't read all the pages of this thread, but my response is similar: yes! I really think kids need a good counter-example to all those teachers who drive one of those environmentally-unsound, CO-belching metal boxes* to school. If you persist with it, you will no doubt lose a considerable amount of weight over the coming months, and people will notice that and (hopefully) respect it.

* Yeah, I'm not a big car fan.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
mcshroom said:
I beg to differ.

Both my parents are teachers (my Dad in my secondary school), my sister is a teacher, and I was going to be before decided I could earn more and have an easier life in my current career. I'm also currently a cub leader and have worked with scouts and explorer scouts.

Even if you don't do things you think kids will pick on, they'll always find something. To be fair I think the jibes were easier to brush off than the numerous broken windows our house suffered as we lived in the catchment area of my Dad's school.

dondare said:
I work at London University and cycle in.

slowmotion said:
Well, I'm not a teacher, but I have been a pupil. Pupils like good teachers and don't give a monkey's about their quirks.

Ride the bike, take a shower, and tell them about the joys of cycling when they try , occasionally, to take the piss. I know this advice is more easily given than acted upon.

Oh yes, never wear Lycra within a mile of school...

My point exactly...I assume all of you (or your respective "good" teacher's) already command respect and can (and should) do what they like.....but those who do not have that capacity to command respect, should beware. I knew a teacher who suffered a mental breakdown from the daily torture that her pupils inflicted on her...her problem was, she commanded no respect and was always on a back heel...everything else she did was a bit of a joke to them.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I passed a primary school in Easton today and noticed that a teacher there obviously cycles to school - amongst several bikes locked to the railing was a brompton:ohmy:.

But I know what you mean about the respect thing.

phaedrus

summerdays said:
But I know what you mean about the respect thing.

Sorry, but in my view a fair amount of rubbish has been spouted on this thread. Respect? The OP needs to gain some respect for himself. If you want to cycle to work, cycle to work. You'll understand the benefits once you've been doing it for a while. If people (of any age) take the piss, rise above it. That's what people do.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I disagree if you haven't got the respect of the kids it will be yet another thing for them to use against you and they will. Kids can be cruel both to each other and to the adults in their world. Either the adult is in control or the kids are. I work with kids and you soon learn to size them up pretty quickly ... and they you.

Well, I'm a Cover Supervisor in a secondary School - so a in similalar (but not the same I know) situation as the OP

On the whole - the students have been interested and amazed that I would cycle ito school - approx 6 hilly miles. I smile and cycle on by when I spot any of them if they've taken the pee it has not been within my hearing.

I park my bike in their bike shed - it has come to no harm
I am no young fit PE teacher but a 46 year old overweight woman.
I have a filing cabinet full of clothes, make up and hair dryer/straighteners and at the end of a day I change into bright lycra - I still haven't heard any pee taking, I'm not saying they haven't just that I I haven't heard any

Bandini

jonny jeez said:
So, I would say that if you already command their respect (and possibly a little fear) then ride.

If you don’t yet, then it's probably going to be a tough ride (excuse the pun), so prepare yourself

Agreed - but then every day is an arduous slog anyhow, so an extra few minutes won't make any difference!

Bandini

thomas said:
I think it would probably bore most school children ;)

+1 - and if they were ever going to let up on the bike thing, being this much of a dick would guarantee a career of pain!

potsy

Rambler
Must admit that the 1st time i cycle commuted last year I felt incredibly self-conscious,was very worried about p-taking and that's amongst middle aged people in the main,after a couple of days it became a none issue,and now 1 year on I get comments if I Don't cycle in:smile:
I'd say go for it,but just do the casual clothing to start with if you're not confident,it'll be worse if you build it up into something it's not.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
summerdays said:
I disagree if you haven't got the respect of the kids it will be yet another thing for them to use against you and they will. Kids can be cruel both to each other and to the adults in their world. Either the adult is in control or the kids are. I work with kids and you soon learn to size them up pretty quickly ... and they you.

+1, thats pretty much my thoughts.

Jimscullion, much as I admire your sentiment, in practice kids in our schools can be a pretty intimidating bunch and if you are not equipped with the natural skills to deal with this, its probably best to try and NOT distinguish yourself, while you get a hold on it.

All schools are different though, so maybe the OP will find a different reaction

Crankarm

Guru
You worried by a few poxy kids ;)? They'll not notice or soon tire of ripping the pi55 out of you. Rest assured they'll probably be dead before you, if as suggested, they are as obese and slothful as many health officials and media articles now suggest they are.

neslon

I teach and cycle to work every day, about 10 miles minimum each way (usually longer, to take in hills and scenery). No kids have ever taken the mick, not that I would give a rats ass if they did. Most are impressed that an old git like me can cover the distance quicker than they can by bus, a lot of them cycle anyway, and the car I occasionally have to use (Impreza) has enough chavtastic appeal to let them know its a choice, not a necessity.

The other thing I would say to a few posters is that most kids are marvellous - please don't demonise them. The Daily Hate does that well enough already.

Top Bottom