Should a teacher commute by bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP: I refer you to this thread about teachers cycling

https://www.cyclechat.net/

Watch the full episode, then if you can handle it, go for it!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
guitarpete247 said:
I'm a Supply teacher and am currently working in a school that I could cycle to. My other half says that the only teachers that should cycle to work are young, fit PE teachers. anyone else is fair game to the Pee being taken.
What does anyone else think. I'm 53 and the not the most slender but trying to lose the pounds and stay fit. I'm trying to do the miles after work.

Why not cycle to work? If you are a teacher you need to set a good example, other wise we get this...

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
My school was over 100 acres in size and some of the teachers used bicycles to get around the school. One rather large teacher used to cycle into school as well with his violin on the pannier rack, he was and still is a legend in the pupils eyes. although i doubt because he cycled, just because he was cool.

chap

Veteran
Zippy said:
Just take the Pink Floyd stance: "You - yes YOU behind the bike sheds. STAND STILL LADDIE!!"

Sod them; an' get on yer bike!

That sort of stuff is not accepted in the comprehensives. :biggrin:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Well, I'm not a teacher, but I have been a pupil. Pupils like good teachers and don't give a monkey's about their quirks.

Ride the bike, take a shower, and tell them about the joys of cycling when they try , occasionally, to take the piss. I know this advice is more easily given than acted upon.

Oh yes, never wear Lycra within a mile of school...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I asked my daughter and she said in a disinterested way that her Maths teacher cycles ... so asked further if anyone makes fun of him for that and she said - no. But he's the kind of teacher that has earned his respect from the pupils and he is always taking the miccy out of them - even our parents evening meetings usually involve some hilarity.

If you are going to be embarrassed by it they will spot it as a weak point - but if you're not embarrassed go for it. Just think of the wonderful stress reliever you will get at the beginning and end of the day.

Martok

Klingon on a bike
If you want to cycle to work then go for it! I work in education and see some schools have provided cycle racks specifically for their teachers as well as pupils. There's not a big use of the teacher racks but there are a few bikes there.

Unless you're going to ride in on a real old bone shaker then I doubt you'll be jibed for the bike you're on. In fact you could make this a talking point with your pupils in lessons, depending on the context. I don't know what you teach or the age of pupils but I'm sure you can drop it into lessons (e.g. maths - speed/distance calculations; geography - hill gradients; science - forces etc). The thing is to be positive about your cycling, be proud of it and talk about it when and where it is appropriate. Pupils will respond to that positively, whereas if you try to hide it away and appear embarrassed they'll pick up on that.

As has already been said, if you already command respect from pupils then you'll be fine. Even with this there will be the odd bit off taking the mick, it's the nature of pupils, but on the whole you'll be fine and you may even inspire some of your pupils to drag out their bicycles from the shed. :biggrin:

PBancroft

I worked in a sixth form college for a short while. To be blunt I was not a popular member of staff (Shh! This is a SILENT study area...) but the fact that I occasionally cycled to work at that time was not something that appeared on their radar.

However.

Supply teachers are always seen as a bit "Weird" perhaps even more so than librarians. Anything that you do that other teachers don't may seem a bit out of kilter. In short, its up to you - how much would you stand out by doing it? If you would just ride in, lock your bike up and toddle off for a cup of tea I bet no one will care. If you have to cycle in, park your bike in full view whilst kitted out with the complete set of lycras you'll get hell.

Oook.

Jezston

Über Member
I'm highly concerned as to why your choices of riding in seem to be mostly based on having the piss taken out of you by pupils.

If you aren't above that, or confident or authoritative to lay the smack down on pupils who dare to take the piss out of a teacher, then I'm not sure why you are in teaching.

Seriously, that shouldn't even be crossing your mind let alone be the deciding factor!

If any of the kids take the piss, then put the little shoots in detention.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
put the little shoots in detention

Times have changed since you & I were in school Jezza. You can't even raise your voice nowadays.

But seriously though, if you're in teaching then you'll get grief no matter what you do - drive an uncool car or wear an uncool jumper.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Jezston said:
I'm highly concerned as to why your choices of riding in seem to be mostly based on having the piss taken out of you by pupils.

If you aren't above that, or confident or authoritative to lay the smack down on pupils who dare to take the piss out of a teacher, then I'm not sure why you are in teaching.

Seriously, that shouldn't even be crossing your mind let alone be the deciding factor!

If any of the kids take the piss, then put the little shoots in detention.

i agree, and while they are in detention then ask them to do a 5000 word essay on the subject. :tongue:

Jezston

Über Member
Moodyman said:
put the little shoots in detention

Times have changed since you & I were in school Jezza. You can't even raise your voice nowadays.

But seriously though, if you're in teaching then you'll get grief no matter what you do - drive an uncool car or wear an uncool jumper.

Seriously? It's not like I was in school in the 1950's or something. I'm talking mid-nineties here! Only teachers we would take the piss out of of were either a) cool with it and found it funny or; :tongue: completely lacking in any confidence of sense of authority.

Not being able to so much as raise your voice these days? Is this really the truth or a bit too much of the reading the daily mail political correctness gone mad exaggeration?

chap

Veteran
Jezston said:
Seriously? It's not like I was in school in the 1950's or something. I'm talking mid-nineties here! Only teachers we would take the piss out of of were either a) cool with it and found it funny or; :tongue: completely lacking in any confidence of sense of authority.

Not being able to so much as raise your voice these days? Is this really the truth or a bit too much of the reading the daily mail political correctness gone mad exaggeration?

Well according to the Daily Mail, such dictates would ring true since 90% of the kids don't speak English anyway. Therefore raising ones voice would bring cause them to have flashbacks of bad times in their war-torn countries, then you'd be left with an emotionally-scarred scrounger.

Top Bottom