Should All Cyclists Wear Helmet Cams?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harveymt

I've been cycling now a few months and there are a few regular things that happen that have me wondering if I should wear one.

First one happens every day on the Greenway I use to commute to work. Dogs. The Greenway clearly states that 'All dogs must be kept under control'. I am unsure if this translates to 'All dogs must be kept on a leash' but nearly every day dogs run in front of me. I have been knocked off once by two dogs that were fighting. The larger one turned round and jumped at me while I was going past. I saw them and had slowed so it did no damage. It's the ones that dart out of the bushes that worry me. Even when leashed owners let them walk wherever so you routinely come across owners on one side, dogs on the other, with a tripwire in between. I have contacted the Greenway asking them to clarify but they haven't responded. I'm sure there is a liability issue, if I kill Lassie and the little boy never gets rescued then can I be held responsible? If a dog knocks me off my bike and injures me is the owner liable?

Second thing is cars passing too close. This is mainly a concern to me at the advance stop boxes. Drivers in Belfast don't seem to realise yet that they can't stop in them. I have tended not to try to use them as if there's three or four cars in front of you at the lights you can end up in no man's land trying to get into it and then the lights change when you're between cars. I had one car pass very close last night when we were taking off from the lights. He was half way into the box and I pulled up just in front of him at the lights. When they changed he took off seemingly without even realising I was right in front of him. If a driver does that I could end up damaging the car or they hurt me. There's also the chance I could hit a car trying to get into an advance stop box when a car is stopped in one. Again there is a liability issue.

To protect myself I'm considering getting a helmet cam. It's very hard to argue with video footage. If all cyclists wore them would motorists be more wary knowing they could be caught on camera? Should it be recommended that cyclists wear them or even be compulsory?

D

Deleted member 20519

Compulsory helmet cams?

:popcorn:

Reactions: 4F
OP
OP
H

harveymt

lol.....compulsory helmet cams...lol
Heard it all now.

In regards to the advance stop boxes. Why do you feel you HAVE to use them?
Why don't you cycle as part of the traffic and take the lane behind any cars?

I know that making them compulsory is far fetched, but is it a good idea to have one to protect yourself should something happen to you?

I'm not looking a helmet debate here so helmet cam, bike cam, shoe cam whatever. A camera of some sort on your bike or person.

OP
OP
H

harveymt

Helmet cams do not protect the wearer and do not prevent incidents occurring.
Compulsory wicker shopping baskets has more chance of becoming law.

Again, this isn't about prevention it's about making sure I am covered should something happen and it is claimed to be my fault. If enough cyclists did this and drivers were aware that there was every chance the cyclist up ahead could be recording them, would they pass more safely?

Top Bottom