Should All Cyclists Wear Helmet Cams?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I
To protect myself I'm considering getting a helmet cam. It's very hard to argue with video footage. If all cyclists wore them would motorists be more wary knowing they could be caught on camera? Should it be recommended that cyclists wear them or even be compulsory?
Don't you realise that these things have to happen in order to be filmed. Thus - if something happens the camera has not (as you suggest) protected you.

Should drivers and pedestrians be considering dash/head/shopping bag cams too?

Even better, every one should have their own autonomous drone that flies about 6 feet above us and that films and captures everything to the web. Just in case we get shot, mugged, hit by a car/bike/horse/jogger, queue jumped, swore at, spat at, dumped by girlfriend, given the wrong change back, rained on, ignored by barmen or even worse flamed on cyclechat. I joke, but I give us less than 5 years before we see this available.

How does filming something alter or even the reduce the chances of something bad happening? Or are you saying our lives are quantum and the camera induces some sort of observer effect.

MaxInc

To protect myself I'm considering getting a helmet cam.

Wish there was a camera to protect me from all the troubles I'm getting myself into. Better learn to avoid accidents regardless of who's fault it is. There is a reason for everything including driver's rage, ignorance or lack of concentration. Become aware of these limitations and you will be much better protected on the road.

As for it to be compulsory, only if it would forced you to upload all the footage for public record, including those showing your own mistakes.

D

Deleted member 20519

Should all pedestrians film their journeys? What about cars? Or busses? Trains?

I'm sure George Orwell wrote a book about a surveillance state.

Don't most buses have cameras fitted to them? Buses near me have at least three on the inside, two on the sides and one on the back and front.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
It would make more sense for cameras to be compulsory on cars than on cyclists. Nearly all Russian motorists have cameras in their cars these days - it's not actually compulsory AFAIK but it's a practical necessity in Russia.

D

Deleted member 20519

It would make more sense for cameras to be compulsory on cars than on cyclists. Nearly all Russian motorists have cameras in their cars these days - it's not actually compulsory AFAIK but it's a practical necessity in Russia.

Some Russian insurance companies make it compuslory

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Some Russian insurance companies make it compuslory

Have you ever been to Russia and experienced the driving there?

You should some time.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
[QUOTE 2555751, member: 30090"]Absolutely not, victim blaming of the worst kind.[/quote]

Quite. Cameras (and indeed black boxes) in cars, on the other hand, strike me as an eminently sensible measure and might go a long way to help protect more vulnerable road users.

Top Bottom