Should All Cyclists Wear Helmet Cams?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I know that making them compulsory is far fetched, but is it a good idea to have one to protect yourself should something happen to you?

I'm not looking a helmet debate here so helmet cam, bike cam, shoe cam whatever. A camera of some sort on your bike or person.

And you haven't answered my question.
Instead of using the 'must get in front' tactic to get in the ASL, why don't you queue up as part of the traffic?

Davidc

Guru
You want to use a cycle camera - fine by me
You want to have a dashboard camera - fine by me
You want to wear the helmet it's attached to - fine by me

Compulsion to make me do any of them - absolutely not.

Compulsion is not a problem when it relates to something genuinely life protecting like lights or brakes, or in the case of motor vehicles speed or drink drive issues, but the less of it the better and definitely not over something which is just useful for some people - like a camera.

Bman

Guru
Even better, every one should have their own autonomous drone that flies about 6 feet above us and that films and captures everything to the web. Just in case we get shot, mugged, hit by a car/bike/horse/jogger, queue jumped, swore at, spat at, dumped by girlfriend, given the wrong change back, rained on, ignored by barmen or even worse flamed on cyclechat. I joke, but I give us less than 5 years before we see this available.

How does filming something alter or even the reduce the chances of something bad happening? Or are you saying our lives are quantum and the camera induces some sort of observer effect.

It's in development now :smile:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1101297082/r10-quadrotor-powerful-inexpensive-and-customizabl

OP
OP
H

harveymt

And you haven't answered my question.
Instead of using the 'must get in front' tactic to get in the ASL, why don't you queue up as part of the traffic?

From my original post:

'Second thing is cars passing too close. This is mainly a concern to me at the advance stop boxes. Drivers in Belfast don't seem to realise yet that they can't stop in them. I have tended not to try to use them as if there's three or four cars in front of you at the lights you can end up in no man's land trying to get into it and then the lights change when you're between cars.'

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Ie took off seemingly without even realising I was right in front of him. If a driver does that I could end up damaging the car or they hurt me. .

Reading your original post I wondered how you ride. The quote above puts concern about your health secondary to the cars condition. It also places you at fault for the driver ignoring you...I wonder if your riding reflects this. I get the impression you make be averse/apologetic about taking primary position when required?
It could be that being an overly passive rider has led to some of the situations you describe?
BTW, ‘close control’. It doesn’t necessarily mean on a lead, but it does mean under control. I can run with my cocker spaniel for 20 miles, mainly off lead, but he’s always close & under control.

OP
OP
H

harveymt

Why the big focus and derision on making it compulsory? I've made it clear it also doesn't have to be a helmet cam. It was an extension of my original thought about getting a cam and what other people thought of them.

OP
OP
H

harveymt

Reading your original post I wondered how you ride. The quote above puts concern about your health secondary to the cars condition. It also places you at fault for the driver ignoring you...I wonder if your riding reflects this. I get the impression you make be averse/apologetic about taking primary position when required?
It could be that being an overly passive rider has led to some of the situations you describe?
BTW, ‘close control’. It doesn’t necessarily mean on a lead, but it does mean under control. I can run with my cocker spaniel for 20 miles, mainly off lead, but he’s always close & under control.

I ride in the middle of the lane. Most of my regular journeys are either on a greenway or on bus lanes. There are several spots where I need to be in a lane with cars and I ride in the middle. The further out I am the more room I have to go in should someone come to close. It also stops people chancing their arm about overtaking.

Your second point would suggest this is a grey area? Your definition of under control may differ from the next persons. It was my thinking that this was a good reason for having a camera. It removes that grey area?

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I tried to couch my terms in the 1st point. You may be a confident rider, but the way you wrote made me wonder.
Second point was my understanding from when I used to have a german shepherd and attended a club where we were trained by a top West Yorkshire Police trainer. We did lead work, close control, distance control, agility and ‘man work’

OP
OP
H

harveymt

I tried to couch my terms in the 1st point. You may be a confident rider, but the way you wrote made me wonder.
Second point was my understanding from when I used to have a german shepherd and attended a club where we were trained by a top West Yorkshire Police trainer. We did lead work, close control, distance control, agility and ‘man work’

Unfortunately not all dog owners take their responsibilities as seriously as you do. At least I know now that 'under control' does not mean on a lead. It's a point I can raise with the local Greenway. Either dogs should be leashed at all times or there should be someway of policing the owners. Even some signs explaining what's expected of users might at least help a little.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Either dogs should be leashed at all times or there should be someway of policing the owners. Even some signs explaining what's expected of users might at least help a little.

On a lead tends to need some sort of byelaw. Usually to protect livestock. There’s an area near us, but the guys taking the **** really. A few chickens get out of his yard and wander. He’s got 3 signs.
1. behind vegetation
2. 10 foot up a wall, facing across the path
3. attached to a branch, 15 foot above the path facing the opposite direction from my direction of travel.
If I’m running, I’m watching my footfall and the dog, not whats 15’ up a tree.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From my original post:

'Second thing is cars passing too close. This is mainly a concern to me at the advance stop boxes. Drivers in Belfast don't seem to realise yet that they can't stop in them. I have tended not to try to use them as if there's three or four cars in front of you at the lights you can end up in no man's land trying to get into it and then the lights change when you're between cars.'

But you say, you end up in no mans land. There is not need. If you ride as part of the traffic then you wont end up doing that. Forget that ASL's exist. It will make your cycling a better experience for you.

jayonabike