Should an old fart buy a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@taximan do you use the Hugh Porter ?
If not why not ?
But if you think a "new" bike will help you get out and about then it's a yes from me as well
As for what one that's your shout and as others have said no is the time to pick up a "shed queen " ie lightly used 2nd hand machine that was bought with the intention of being used but after a few rides if lucky it has sat unused .
If you were / are local to me i would be more than happy to lend you one to try and see what you think first before spending money in a shop or where ever .

Dave7

Legendary Member
I got one as an old fart. Wanted/hankered after one for a while and went for it.
Apart from some serious ar*e problems early on I had some great rides and lots of pleasure.
Gone back to one hybrid type now but no regrets.
But...... as others have said, be prepared to lose some money. I lost money but I could afford to do so for the pleasure it gave me

tom73

Guru
You've a great part of the world to ride round so what better a bike you like and great rides out.
If you wanting to have a look around and try a few take a trip over to Pickering and call in on bear bikes great shop really helpful and they let you try a bike a two. Often have a sale on too.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
If you can afford it, I would say yes. I am in my 50's, overweight and unfit, and when I was looking for a bike a few months ago I started looking at Halfords, Argos etc. I started looking at eBay, Sphock etc and realised you could get decent bikes for not much more than a BSO. £200 later I had a 2007 carbon Giant road bike - an absolute revelation after trying £150 bikes in Halfords. It weighs next to nothing and is easy to ride. There are some good deals going now so it's a great time to buy.

What's your budget? I bet the folks on here could find you a bike that you'll love.

OH has ordered a bargain Cannondale hybrid from Rutland Cycling:

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/cannondale/2019

Globalti

Legendary Member
Many new road bikes come with 53/36 chainrings but any worthwhile dealer will change them for you for 50/34, which is more suitable for an amateur rider.

I've just had a look at a colleague's brand new Roubaix and I must admit that I'm sorely tempted. It felt ridiculously light and the paint job is gorgeous.

20200102_115518.jpg

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
Many new road bikes come with 53/36 chainrings but any worthwhile dealer will change them for you for 50/34, which is more suitable for an amateur rider.

I would go even further and recomend the new Shimano 46/30, 46-11 is good for 30 mph @ 90 cadence, its a 110 inch gear, which is a bigger gear than most of us rode years ago, 52/13, was my largest gear for many years as a younger man, thats 108 inch.

Last edited:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Yes. I see a few old people locally riding rather nice bikes. Delighted that they aren't sticking to what they dreamed of when they were younger.

boydj

Legendary Member
Is it a road bike you specifically want?
You say the gearing on your dusted off bike is a bit high for your liking. New road bikes are also notorious for having big gears. You could have a word with the dealer you buy from to see if he/she would be willing to fit smaller gears for a small fee.

You're a bit out of date. There are more bikes on sale now with a compact (50/34) chainset than anything else. And sub-compact (48/30 or similar) is not hard to find.

btw, I'd easily be classed as an old fart and all of my bikes are road bikes. My good bike (carbon) has a 48/32 chainset.

12boy

Guru
Compared to illicit sex, fast cars and gambling, bikes are an inexpensive vice and unless you get smuckered by a car will increase your fitness and flexibilty and probably your enjoyment of other parts of your life. If you are married, your spouse may find at least two of the three things I began with unacceptable, anyway.
Road bikes that fit well are no more difficult to ride than any other type, and stem, saddle and handlebar choices can adapt them to whatever is comfortable to you. Googling Hugh Porter, it would seem you already have a racing bike. I'd wonder if new tires, saddle and a thorough going over, by a good shop, unless that isn't your thing, would be perfectly ok unless going really fast is the goal.

woodbutcher

Veteran

I've just had a look at a colleague's brand new Roubaix and I must admit that I'm sorely tempted. It felt ridiculously light and the paint job is gorgeous.

View attachment 498739
Now look what you've gone and done .....l'm drooling https://ibkbike.com/road-bikes/spec...7Ow9hxvUiYOGgHGPDuZztG1zGUcYvrVAaAm2FEALw_wcB

Top Bottom