Should an old fart buy a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Tell me more ......do you mean price or bike ?
Not my colour or groupset. The Argons are more up my street,

Attachments

• 1577991253301.png
    1577991253301.png
    31 KB · Views: 3

woodbutcher

Veteran
Not my colour or groupset. The Argons are more up my street, View attachment 498767
Looks great, what sort of money would you expect to pay ?

woodbutcher

Veteran
Think that one is about £2700.00.
But if i was buying a new bike i would just buy the frame and build it up myself.
well its an interesting thought but l would have to ride one or at least see one in the flesh because that sort of money would keep me in vintage French classic bikes for a year or two ^_^

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
well its an interesting thought but l would have to ride one or at least see one in the flesh because that sort of money would keep me in vintage French classic bikes for a year or two ^_^
Have built three of them up.Really nicely finished frame. But yes you do need to ride any bike before you buy. Good luck with what ever you buy.

Well in your first post you ask "Am I a bit old for a road bike" well take it from me your not I'm 73 this year and still manage to do a bit more so in the better weather I started with an aluminum framed bike a cheap £315 Btwin in 2013 and now got a carbon Planet X ultegra 11 speed in a sale for £850 and haven't looked back ok my pace is quite slow average 14-15 mph and try and do a few longer trips in the summer 60-80 miles And Apart from some of the hills which always seem to have that one steep bit on them! I find it really enjoyable so get on and go for it I priced the cost of buiding a bike up and found by the time you have got all the bits its just as much fun shopping around to find the bike as near as you want off the shelf after ll you can always find mods to do on any bike you get. enjoy it

woodbutcher

Veteran
Well in your first post you ask "Am I a bit old for a road bike" well take it from me your not I'm 73 this year and still manage to do a bit more so in the better weather I started with an aluminum framed bike a cheap £315 Btwin in 2013 and now got a carbon Planet X ultegra 11 speed in a sale for £850 and haven't looked back ok my pace is quite slow average 14-15 mph and try and do a few longer trips in the summer 60-80 miles And Apart from some of the hills which always seem to have that one steep bit on them! I find it really enjoyable so get on and go for it I priced the cost of buiding a bike up and found by the time you have got all the bits its just as much fun shopping around to find the bike as near as you want off the shelf after ll you can always find mods to do on any bike you get. enjoy it
Well put sir ! After all is said and done, the important thing is just to ride and enjoy the ride no matter what type of bike !

Smudge

Veteran
I would say ride a few different sorts of road bikes, they do vary in fit & feel, then decide which (if any) you'd like to own.
No one on here will know what you want better than you do yourself.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Hi guys, Thanks for your thoughts which in turn have given me food for thought. One thing in particular set me thinking about how I would feel about losing any money paid for a bike if for any reason I lost it. well the answer is simple, I would not be at all happy. As I mentioned earlier I have my Hugh Porter which I do use quite a lot and together with my touring bike which I use for camping trips in the warmer weather, I think my cycling needs are covered. As for the BSO. I will keep it but keep an eye open for a better road bike if I can find one at a bargain price.

Globalti

Legendary Member
What size bike do you ride or how tall are you? Somebody on here might offer you a bike for reasonable money.

Top Bottom