Should Chainring wear that quick....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

Got my new bike on 1st August, Boardman Ltd Ed Team Carbon, however I pulled it apart again for a clean today and noticed the Large chainring looks really worn already, there's no issue when riding no skipping of the chain etc, its done 270 miles in a month.

My giant defy I had previously did nearly 1000 miles before I had to change the rings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 217
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 205

oldroadman

Veteran
Looks like you have a chain problem. I can't believe you only got 1,000 miles from a ring, something is going wrong. Clean and lube chain regularly, use sensible gears, check chain for stretch?
Anyway that wear after 270 miles is a warranty issue if you bought it new.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Erm..... what is wrong with that chainring?

You do realise that the teeth on chainrings are not all the same size and shape right? They vary around the ring in order to improve shifting performance!

I think someone doesn't realise what a chainring is meant to look like!

Last edited:
@jonbrackenridge

The paint has worn off slightly from wear but that is purely cosmetic. There is some friction between the chain and crank/cassette teeth. Perfectly normal.

As Rob says above, the teeth are shaped this way to improve shifting. Again perfectly normal and IMO your kit seems in fine condition.
If it all works as fine as you say, then put your mind at rest.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Erm..... what is wrong with that chainring?

You do realise that the teeth on chainrings are not all the same size and shape right? They vary around the ring in order to improve shifting performance!

I think someone doesn't realise what a chainring is meant to look like!
I honestly didn't know that, so thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Davidc

Guru
My chainrings look a bit like that, and have from new.

Had to replace a middle one at 3,000 after I bent it when cleaning a load of gunge out, apart from that I usually reckon on 9 to 12 thousand miles from a middle one. The others last forever. Bike's done just over 4000 and I have a spare middle one for fitting in roughly 9000 miles time!

I've replaced several chainrings over the years, but I like to think I get 6-7,000 miles out of one as a minimum - usually significantly more.

Luckily (and I don't know whether any of you have this on your bikes) there is a spare one mounted right next to it, so when it wears out you can just move a lever and the chain is lifted onto the spare. It even works halfway through a ride!

So that doubles my chainring mileage straight away!

But it's much harder to pedal on the spare. That may be because it's so big.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Bit off topic but

An old trick for getting twice the distance from a chain ring is putting a worn chain ring on back to front

Top Bottom