Should Chainring wear that quick....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
not wishing to teach my grandmother to suck eggs as it were, but most chainrings have "shaped" teeth to help gear-changing - which to the uninitiated might look like wear. ( a mistake I've made myself with a cursory glance). Not that is it ?

Davidc

Guru
I've replaced several chainrings over the years, but I like to think I get 6-7,000 miles out of one as a minimum - usually significantly more.

Luckily (and I don't know whether any of you have this on your bikes) there is a spare one mounted right next to it, so when it wears out you can just move a lever and the chain is lifted onto the spare. It even works halfway through a ride!

So that doubles my chainring mileage straight away!

But it's much harder to pedal on the spare. That may be because it's so big.
I've got 2 spares. One's like yours, but the other spare's ever so difficult to keep up with. I think someone put it on too hot a wash and then tumble dried it.

OP
OP
jonbrackenridge

jonbrackenridge

Erm..... what is wrong with that chainring?

You do realise that the teeth on chainrings are not all the same size and shape right? They vary around the ring in order to improve shifting performance!

I think someone doesn't realise what a chainring is meant to look like!

How arrogant and obnoxious can you sound in a post, if its supposed to look like that fair enough hence why I have asked, the first reply seemed to think there was a problem then you come along with a sarcastic reply trying to sound clever.

The reason I believed it was worn is i took my old giant defy 4 to my LBS for a "checkup" and the large and middle chain ring looked like the one above and his advice was it was worn out and needed replacing, I know the guys there personally as well as through the shop so didn't feel they would be "ripping me off" I haven't been out otherwise I'd of popped in there today I posted the question here and 99% of replys are great and I can say I never knew that the rings were shaped this way but the way your post comes across is so rude and not informative just mocking.

Thanks everyone else ill stop panicking now that its shot already.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
How arrogant and obnoxious can you sound in a post, if its supposed to look like that fair enough hence why I have asked, the first reply seemed to think there was a problem then you come along with a sarcastic reply trying to sound clever.

The reason I believed it was worn is i took my old giant defy 4 to my LBS for a "checkup" and the large and middle chain ring looked like the one above and his advice was it was worn out and needed replacing, I know the guys there personally as well as through the shop so didn't feel they would be "ripping me off" I haven't been out otherwise I'd of popped in there today I posted the question here and 99% of replys are great and I can say I never knew that the rings were shaped this way but the way your post comes across is so rude and not informative just mocking.

My post was aimed as much at those re-inforcing the notion (either directly, or by not immediately telling you it is meant to be like that, both online and in the bike shop) that it was worn as it was yourself. If people don't know what a chainring is meant to look like, then they shouldn't be giving advice regarding the state of wear on one based on a photograph. It is a case of the blind leading the blind.

As for your chosen bike shop, I would suggest that unless you happen to be a rare case of experiencing extreme wear they either aren't very good or indeed see you as some easy cash (if the chainring was indeed like that one pictured in this thread). A chainring should not wear out in a 1000 miles, a chain and cassette last longer than that and you should go through plenty of chains and cassettes before you need a new chainring unless you let a very worn chain degenerate the chainring (which you probably have not done if your chain only had 1000 miles on it too.

Regardless of my arrogance, obnoxiousness, sarcasm, rudeness and mocking (which wasn't particularly unintentional), my post was informative and I was the 1st person to actually buck the trend, tell you it is meant to be like that and tell you why it is meant to be like that, i.e. set you on the right path!

Your welcome!

Last edited:

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys

So the guy who actually helps when you're being a bit of an idiot gets no thanks at all, and everyone else who know nothing and help you not at all get thanks.

So the guy who actually helps when you're being a bit of an idiot gets no thanks at all, and everyone else who know nothing and help you not at all get thanks.
Thought i was quite helpful actually. :blush:

Rob can be a bit blunt and you have to have had previous conversations with him to not think he is having a go. Actually he reminds me of a guy that used to be on here called Black n Yellow. More often right than wrong but didn't suffer fools - and by that i mean he would throw advice at you with a sledge hammer. Effective but pretty painful at times. Actually whatever happened to him? He was fun.

@Rob3rt - I am sure you know what i mean. ;)

T4tomo

Legendary Member

I think your personal friends at the LBS have ripped you off with the Defy chainrings. Harsh lesson but you'll know for next time.

U

User6179

]
Thought i was quite helpful actually. :blush:

Rob can be a bit blunt and you have to have had previous conversations with him to not think he is having a go. Actually he reminds me of a guy that used to be on here called Black n Yellow. More often right than wrong but didn't suffer fools - and by that i mean he would throw advice at you with a sledge hammer. Effective but pretty painful at times. Actually whatever happened to him? He was fun.

@Rob3rt - I am sure you know what i mean. ;)

I believe Black n Yellow is now running and I get mixed up by the two but its either North or South Korea!?

OP
OP
jonbrackenridge

jonbrackenridge

It wasn't the "Advice" I was annoyed about its the terms that were used and how they were said by Rob3rt, I'm sure he knows his stuff but there is a way to put things across to people and then a way to make people think wow what a total ******.

I have had absolutely no reason to doubt my guys at the bike shop there not a halfords operation one of the 2 Stores is a main Bianchi Dealer for the area and the "sister" shop is a Large Canondale dealer there certainly not in it for me spending £30-£40 on a chainring with £4k bikes a regular sale for them.

It could be the giant stock ones wore out I don't know but I never knew that the rings came with the teeth in that sort of setup, now I do so can be sure what to keep an eye on.

U

User6179

Or he is secretly Robert in Disguise! :ph34r:

Never seen Robe3t go back and alter his previous posts to make it look like he was saying something else and thus making person he was arguing with look stupid, Black n yellow did this all the time, he was a professional troll and someone told me he didn't even own a bike :wacko:

Top Bottom