Should cycling be allowed on the pavement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

A short stretch of pavement allows me and my young daughter to cycle to school, as the alternative would be two right turns on and off the busy main road, not something I would contemplate for a five year old . I have taught her that pavement cycling is ok only if she goes slowly and gives way to pedestrians. I would ask what benefit is achieved by preventing us from doing this?

PK99

Legendary Member
I snapped my ACL a year ago and have been a "vulnerable pedestrian" since then and have been more aware of pavement cyclists as a direct and immediate hazard. The middle aged pavement cyclist who forced me on crutches into a hedge to avoid him and gave me a mouthful when I suggested he be more considerate and use the road was a particular low point.

Following reconstruction I have been walking a mile to the gym 6 days a week from the start of November. I wish I had kept a log of incidents as most days I have to avoid or am put at risk by pavement cyclists. Particular highlights have been the lady cyclist who passed me from behind without warning at at least 15mph. And the guy in lycra on a decent bike with road clips who squeezed between me and a hedge clipping my arm in the process and giving me a mouthful of abuse for not getting out of his way. Those have been the most egregious examples but there have been many lower level instances.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
A short stretch of pavement allows me and my young daughter to cycle to school, as the alternative would be two right turns on and off the busy main road, not something I would contemplate for a five year old . I have taught her that pavement cycling is ok only if she goes slowly and gives way to pedestrians. I would ask what benefit is achieved by preventing us from doing this?

Cycling slowly and giving way to pedestrians, there is no benefit in preventing this and a lot of benefits in allowing this.

Unfortunately not all cyclists on pavements cycle slowly and give way to pedestrians. If they did then this is 100% a non-issue. I think on balance it should be allowed but I hope the pricks who ride too fast and frighten pedestrians get a bollocking or whatever.

This could run and run Personally, it's wheeled transport, so, it belongs on the road. Don't know if it's just round here, but, lots of old, narrow pavements - plenty of scope for a twat on a bike to do a lot of damage, especially if he felt entitled to do it!

U

User482

Cycling slowly and giving way to pedestrians, there is no benefit in preventing this and a lot of benefits in allowing this.

Unfortunately not all cyclists on pavements cycle slowly and give way to pedestrians. If they did then this is 100% a non-issue. I think on balance it should be allowed but I hope the pricks who ride too fast and frighten pedestrians get a bollocking or whatever.
Sure, but the problem there is nobbers. And when I'm walking in the city, nobbers in cars concern me far more than nobbers on bikes.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Its always been against the law but the Labour government reinforced it in 1999 to include a £50 fixed penalty. I wonder what Corbyn thinks of that?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
No. "Pavements" are for peds.

Alas, the issue is self perpetuating. The more cyclists feel unsafe and use the path, the less cyclists use roads, the less motorists become accustomed to encountering them, and the less they become skilled and courteous in their dealings with cyclists.

Then there's the compulsion aspect. If the majority of cyclists end up on the path then the motoring lobby will be clamouring all the louder to keep us off their road? why not, they'll say, seeing as hardly any cyclists now use them anyway?

Ride on the road, but ride with skill, diligence, courtesy and the correct lights etc. If things really are that bad then get off and walk the short distance until it's safe to resume.

That people prefer to, feel the need to, whatever reason, ride on the pavement, it is an expression of our abject failure to provide sufficiently safe roads that they are viewed as safe.

I agree with both these points, but have no real answer to the conundrum. I cycle slowly on the pavement taking my kids to school, until we can get to the shared use path. I would never use that on my journey on to work.

My thoughts suggest that presumed liability may help. If the cyclist reclaims the street they could be helped and if they chose to cycle on the pavement they would need to be extra careful and to yield to all pedestrians.

U

User482

Its always been against the law but the Labour government reinforced it in 1999 to include a £50 fixed penalty. I wonder what Corbyn thinks of that?
It was the Labour government that issued guidance on when the penalty should be enforced. As I recall, it was quite sensible (essentially, "don't be a nobber and you can cycle on the pavement").

No. "Pavements" are for peds.

Alas, the issue is self perpetuating. The more cyclists feel unsafe and use the path, the less cyclists use roads, the less motorists become accustomed to encountering them, and the less they become skilled and courteous in their dealings with cyclists.

Then there's the compulsion aspect. If the majority of cyclists end up on the path then the motoring lobby will be clamouring all the louder to keep us off their road? why not, they'll say, seeing as hardly any cyclists now use them anyway?

Ride on the road, but ride with skill, diligence, courtesy and the correct lights etc. If things really are that bad then get off and walk the short distance until it's safe to resume.

You must have forgotten that the definition of a road includes pavement. You haven't been retired that long either.

No, bloody cyclists and their bloody Lycra, cycling on the pavements, running over and killing all pedestrians. Grrrrrrr, and they're not insured, they should pay pavement tax.

keithmac

Guru
I don't have any issues with children cycling on the pavement but don't agree with adults using it, just my opinion.

Tin Pot

Guru
Best ask that question of the Government, who made it compulsory that NPTs (or insert whatever local name they go by) regularly canvass local opinion to determine local community policing priorities, no matter how bizarre or ludicrous they may be.

Good grief, we're much closer to mob rule than I'd feared. It's like we're actively choosing the end of western civilisation.

Time to put Ancient Greece and Ochlocracy back in the school curriculum.

Top Bottom