Should cycling be allowed on the pavement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarahale

Über Member
I broke my toe whilst out recently and had to cycle home.

Was in a fair amount of pain and unable to pedal very well so for a very busy section of road, where I had to complete a right turn, I decided to use the pavement and as it was less painful to cycle (using my heel) than walk I stayed on my bike, going very slowly. I met a man walking who I stopped to give way to. He very angrily told me I should not be cycling on the pavement. So I gingerly got off and hobbled onwards pushing my bike. Wouldn't dare use a pavement again.

Drago

Legendary Member
Did you not cheerfully tell him to fornicate away?

Expanding on User's point

In1999 when the power of various officials was extended to allow them to issue FPNs the then Home Office Minister gave guidance (Edited - The Home Office Minister who gave this advice was Paul Boateng. These are sometimes referred to as Boateng criteria)

“The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required.”

This was then echoed in advice to the newly authorised ticket issuers:

“CSOs and accredited persons will be accountable in the same way as police officers. They will be under the direction and control of the chief officer, supervised on a daily basis by the local community beat officer and will be subject to the same police complaints system. The Government have included provision in the Anti Social Behaviour Bill to enable CSOs and accredited persons to stop those cycling irresponsibly on the pavement in order to issue a fixed penalty notice.

I should stress that the issue is about inconsiderate cycling on the pavements. The new provisions are not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of the traffic, and who show consideration to other road users when doing so. Chief officers recognise that the fixed penalty needs to be used with a considerable degree of discretion and it cannot be issued to anyone under the age of 16. (Letter to Mr H. Peel from John Crozier of The Home Office, reference T5080/4, 23 February 2004)

To me that seems reasonable and is where it should stand.

Do 30 plus on a pavement whilst chasing a Strava time and yelling for people to get out of your way, and a ticket is more than deserved

However if it is beside a dual carriageway with a complex junction, and the cyclist is acting responsibly then it is arguable that a ticket should not be issued

The statements of many Forces are in line with the Boateng criteria, and whilst there will of course be a wide grey area in between these two examples where the Police are quite right in looking at whether the cyclist is cycling responsibly, has "good reason" and then decide accordingly

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
So long as those cycling on the pavement are considerate to pedestrians
The problem is: pavement users (pedestrian) can't rely on this and, just like cyclists would like to rely on considerate motorists (and all would be well(ish) with the world), they perceive, with validity, that cyclists (especially adults at any speed) may pose a threat.
I met a man walking who I stopped to give way to. He very angrily told me I should not be cycling on the pavement.
A more reasonable response to the nice man (than @Drago 's euphemistic suggestion above) would be " Thank you, sir. You are absolutely correct" and then just carry on.
@Cunobelin 's contribution is really useful. If you keep it illegal then that allows the police to use their discretion. If you make it legal but say 'if you cycle dangerously on the pavement we'll stop you and do you for that' it's a far more difficult policing challenge. Also if a cyclist knocks down a pedestrian on the pavement, the current illegality make the responsibility clear. And this should and does (IME) encourage cyclists who use pavements for whatever reason to ride sensibly and considerately. YMMV

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Trouble is commonsense doesnt allways prevail.

User482 and his 5 year old are causing no problem to anyone.

Gang of kids at full pelt in the dark no lights and total disregard for safety are a problem.

Which is more likely to stop and hang around to accept a fine?

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4647936, member: 259"]They'll never take @User482 alive![/QUOTE]only because there's no one left to go get him!

Interestingly, PCSOs do not have the power to stop traffic, including bicycles, except under the supervision of a police officer. The only exception is their power to stop vehicles being used in an antisocial manner. So if you're riding on a path and otherwise behaving yourself they've no powers to stop you to be able to give you the ticket.

It's like the child seat regulations. The police have no powers to measure your Childs height or enquire as to their age, so the law is theoretically unenforceable.

Dan B

Disengaged member
This could run and run Personally, it's wheeled transport, so, it belongs on the road.
Yes, along with prams, pushchairs, Heelys, shopping trolleys and wheelchairs

mustang1

Legendary Member
The police quite often catch cyclists at Hampton court bridge, one side is a cycle lane but the other is not.
Awesome road planning there. Something similar in lea bridge road. I encountered a cyclist coming the wrong way and had a right go at him. Afterwards I felt bad because I guess he didn't know he was riding the wrong way.

Top Bottom