Should cycling be allowed on the pavement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Interesting to read that pcso cant stop traffic.

Few years ago our kids went on a scout camp.one of the dads had a massive artic lorry and volunteered to transport all the gear.thid required him doing a 20 point turn to reverse into the lane and again to get out.this guy was an incredibly good driver.

I was nominated to go to the top of the road and "advise" drivers it would be easier to go round the block to avoid the lorry manouvering or they could wait 10 minutes.

Most people were great but along comes some dimwit quoting all the legislation that I was breaking .
I just walked around the back of his car and continued offering other motorists the opportunity to go round the block and avoid the hold up.Of course this means gobshite is stuck there for the duration. :-)

Seems if we had just allowed 10 or 15 minutes of gridlock no laws would be broken.

400bhp

Guru
A short stretch of pavement allows me and my young daughter to cycle to school, as the alternative would be two right turns on and off the busy main road, not something I would contemplate for a five year old . I have taught her that pavement cycling is ok only if she goes slowly and gives way to pedestrians. I would ask what benefit is achieved by preventing us from doing this?

I do the same twice a week and (quite rightly) no one bats an eyelid.

400bhp

Guru
This could run and run Personally, it's wheeled transport, so, it belongs on the road. Don't know if it's just round here, but, lots of old, narrow pavements - plenty of scope for a twat on a bike to do a lot of damage, especially if he felt entitled to do it!

What are your views on prams and wheelchairs being in the road?

dim

hard one to answer, as it depends ....

I'd prefer my child to ride on a pavement instead of a busy road, because it would be safer

but .... I'd hate my grandmother or young children to walk on a pavement with yob cyclists (who ride with no hands on the handlebars, or their hands in their pockets or their hands holding their mobile phones while they text on facebook

(my kids are adults now, and I both my grans passed away a long time ago, but thats the way I'd feel a few years ago)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Remember: cycling like a nobber and putting pedestrians in danger is illegal even on a cycle track or carriageway. It's completely irrelevant to whether cycling should be allowed in any given place.

The local population will have identified that as a priority, hence the police spending time on it now and again. Surely you can't be upset that they're delivering that which the public have requested?
:rofl: When Mr Meldrew goes to whatever replaced the SNAP meetings to rant about people cycling on the pavement it's all hands to the pump and there's crackdown squads of PCs and PCSOs roaming the area a few times before they report back to the next meeting, but when cyclists go there to complain about what's making the roads unsafe then it's always Somebody Else's Problems - nobber motorists are for the Roads Policing Unit in a faraway town to deal with, highway obstructions aren't really obstructions but something for the council parking enforcement officers who have their hands full in the town centre.

So maybe I wouldn't be upset with this crap neighbourhood policing priorities method if what the public requested actually happened, but it ain't!

My problem with the article is that nowhere does it mention that pavement cycling is legal where a local authority has redetermined the pavement to shared use. The article reinforces the mistaken, yet widely held, belief that all pavement riding is illegal.

ITYM "redesignated the footway as a cycle track" ("shared use" doesn't really exist but it's a sneaky way to marginalise cycling and make it seem like a guest on a footway) but I know what you mean.

Yes, if cycling on pavements is a problem, identify what pavement cycling is the solution to and work to eliminate that.
I use it as a solution in a couple of places where the alternative is two right turns across a busy road or cycle along a quiet wide footway that the council have failed to redesignate due to cost or Mr Meldrews.

Drago

Legendary Member
Get a few more cyclists to fill out the forms/attend the meetings/whatever method the local plod use to determine the community policing priorities. It's simply a numbers game, and if the cyclists ain't making up the numbers...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Get a few more cyclists to fill out the forms/attend the meetings/whatever method the local plod use to determine the community policing priorities. It's simply a numbers game, and if the cyclists ain't making up the numbers...
Seriously, it isn't. Any policing of traffic other than cyclists is ruled out of bounds. It's a much better idea for cycling campaigners to get involved with the Casualty Reduction Partnerships if they want to get police help with tackling dangerous motorists and ideally get cyclist policing taken away from neighbourhood policing teams too.

Top Bottom