Should cyclists be required to attend a road-craft course before being allowed on the roads?

Should road-craft be a requirement for cyclists

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
But as I pointed out to Monty, if the training were compulsory in order to ride on the road, then you'd need to be able to produce proof that you'd passed it. And that would be a licence. Unless you expect the police to just take the cyclist's word for it.
Exactly, where does it start and where does it stop?!

Hip Priest

Veteran
Well once something is compulsory, things get complex.

You can do a Bikeability course now, and it'll help you to ride on the road. But if you made it compulsory - so that nobody could cycle on the road without having attended the course - then you'd need to bring in licencing and whatnot, and then 'cycling without a licence' would need to become an offence. And then we'd have to wear registration plates so we couldn't avoid detection.

It all just piles up in our complicated world.

So as I said originally, compulsory training would have some benefits, but they'd be outweighed by the massive ball-ache that such a scheme would involve.

An alternative idea might be to incentivise training, instead of making it compulsory. For example, VAT could be waived on bikes and equipment if you can produce a certificate to show you've passed a bikeability course.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I've not read the whole thread and this has probably already been said but I think there should be a high quality road craft course available to everybody and anybody who thinks they need it. I don't know much about Bikeability but I hope that it fits the bill.
As long as people can get training if they want it then it will encourage people on to their bikes. If it is made compulsory it is just another barrier. Good training on demand, preferably for free as I think that it will pay for itself in the medium to long term.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
But as I pointed out to Monty, if the training were compulsory in order to ride on the road, then you'd need to be able to produce proof that you'd passed it. And that would be a licence. Unless you expect the police to just take the cyclist's word for it.

If the training were compulsory... it's not, and nor should it be IMO.

edit... having read your subsequent post... i think we are largely in agreement re training and licensing :rolleyes:

Top Bottom