Should cyclists be required to attend a road-craft course before being allowed on the roads?

Should road-craft be a requirement for cyclists

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hopefully not duplicating any previous polls on this, so here goes...

Really taking notice this spring/summer on the road-craft of the fair-weather or new(?) cyclists on the roads these days, especially given the increased number of new cyclists probably driven to cycling due to the economic climate.

This is noticed both on the commute, out on a "ride" and when driving, and being what you could call a "seasoned" rider, you can't miss just how unstable and unable some riders appear to be.
So many now seem to randomly bounce between the road and pedestrian pathways, ignore or are ignorant of the rules of te road, and seriously put themselves, peds and other cyclists at risk on shared routes as well as on the roads.

Should some type of road-craft be compulsory? - I say yes...

subaqua

What’s the point
I did a "roadcraft course" at 17 . called learning to drive. got taught highway code and was encouraged to read and learn it .

24 years later it still stands me in good stead

Brandane

Legendary Member
While we're at it; let's make safety equipment mandatory. Oh, and some sort of roadworthiness test for cycles, which has to be renewed every year. Then we could raise some extra money for the treasury, through some kind of tax - let's call it "Cycle excise duty". Make all cyclists pay for a cycling license; mandatory insurance, make them pay extra to go into central London, etc. etc...

Or maybe we could leave them well alone and encourage more of them to take to cycling as an alternative to the regulated world of cars? Regulation which, incidentally, doesn't seem to work very well!

I do think the OP's suggestion is a good one in an ideal world, but sadly we don't live in an ideal world, and we need to be careful what we wish for.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I would say yes.
I was glad I had my driving license before riding the roads (never drove since passing my test :wacko: ) at least I knew the rules.
Of course it is entirely possible to ride 50 miles a day without ever going on the road, so no course would be needed. But what if one that never uses the roads needs to do so in an emergency?
It's all too complicated!
Maybe start teaching the basic at school.
Don't you do this already in the uk?

Maybe if the present system for motor vehicles worked, then imposing similar on other groups would be worthwhile

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
what age will your roadcraft qualification be required from? do us 'seasoned' cyclists have to do it too? if not, what is the exemption criteria & how does one prove it?

gavintc

Guru
The nation is already fat enough without more barriers to get them out of their cars

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Basic training should be available for any child who wants it from the age of around 8. If it's structured along the lines of bikeability standards, every child will then have a beyond-cycling-proficiency level of road awareness. And any prospective driver should have to have graduated beyond bikeability 3 standards.

This would cure most, if not all, of the problems associated with future road users.

OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
Good to see some balanced responses.
I didn't say it would be easy to implement or cheap or viable even, it was just a thought, I think prompted more by two older generation cyclists who nearly took me out as they came out of a side lane on the wrong side cutting right in front of me, even though I know they could see me as I ride that route most days.

Personally I feel it should be taught in high-school/comprehensive along with the Highway Code or a condensed equivalent along with basic cycle checks.

Unfortunately I don't have the answer, only the question which sparks balanced debate.
If one person of whatever age is stopped from being killed on a cycle through improved awareness and ability, it as to be worthwhile.

@Brandane, glad you agree that it is a good suggestion and I feel a reasonable one, however, I feel the first part of your response was overreacting a tad.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Basic training should be available for any child who wants it from the age of around 8. If it's structured along the lines of bikeability standards, every child will then have a beyond-cycling-proficiency level of road awareness. And any prospective driver should have to have graduated beyond bikeability 3 standards.

This would cure most, if not all, of the problems associated with future road users.

Unless of course at some point in the future we just throw our borders open to all and sundry, with a large influx of people who have never set foot in our educational system. It's what? Already? The EEC? Oh.......... :whistle:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I think that it would be expensive to implement and impossible to police. Then again it might be easier to police as cyclists are slower then idiots in BMWs so the police could harass cyclists as much as they like.

Cycling proficiency and a good working knowledge of the highway code worked for me. That and a motorbike licence.

I think that if people had to pass some sort of test and it would cost them money to take that test - I am assuming that it would not be free if it was a legal requirement - they they would just stay in their cars and cyclists would become more of a minority target than we are already.

Top Bottom