Should cyclists be required to attend a road-craft course before being allowed on the roads?

Should road-craft be a requirement for cyclists

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Unless of course at some point in the future we just throw our borders open to all and sundry, with a large influx of people who have never set foot in our educational system. It's what? Already? The EEC? Oh.......... :whistle:
I thought all these Peskytanians were already busy filling up our schools.

Thanks to a certain PM and teacher's strike after hours activities were stopped and that included 'Bikeability' (or whatever it was called at the time) and despite that I would like to think I have more road sense than some (others might say otherwise, perhaps I should give up cycling :rolleyes: )

inkd

Undecided on this one, surely common sense is a good basic skill for the road and some cyclists are clearly lacking in this department.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Maybe schools could put in the effort to improve cycle skills as part of PE over kicking a ball about and alongside swimming.

As for 'aftermarket' training I would say regular retraining and retesting or driving licence holders would contribute more to safety then enforcing cycle training.
Not saying that is a practical, or easy, thing to though.

Night Train

Maker of Things
The more I think about it the more I agree that schools are really the best starting point.
As you said @Night Train, cycle-craft and road safety have to be better skills to learn than football!
I see it much the same as learning to swim when at school. Every kid has to do it regardless of how much they may like it or take to it. In the end they mostly all [should] walk away with life long skills (or knowledge) that becomes something that is taken for granted when older.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
number of pedestrians killed by cyclists each year - between 0 and 1.

Number of road casualties (killed) annually - getting on for 2000.

I know, let's introduce a test for cyclists !

(I know the stats above are not like for like, but the general gist is pretty clear

snorri

Legendary Member
If one person of whatever age is stopped from being killed on a cycle through improved awareness and ability, it as to be worthwhile.
One life may be saved through improved awareness, but if more than one life is lost in crashes involving drivers who had been dissuaded from cycling by mandatory obstructions like tests, insurance, compulsory helmet wear etc etc then the net effect of compulsory cyclecraft training would be more death and injury on our roads.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't want any barriers to prevent people from cycling. I agree that training is useful but I don't think that you shouldn't be on the road without it. My children were cycling on the road before they even did their Bikeability courses at primary school.

OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
@Profpointy, I said training and/or awareness, not a test.

@snorri, totally pointless argument.

The arguments against citing that it would turn people off cycling goes against the argument, so statistically how many potential drivers were put off altogether because they were scared off by learning the dangers of the roads and traffic when earning to drive?

Cycle-craft or any other road cycling amongst traffic based on the positives would more likely get more people cycling than turn them away from it.

You make people aware of the reasons for safer cycling and the methods, you also make the future drivers aware of the same and potentially more aware of the vulnerability of cyclists and that they are not just another obstacle or reason they get too their destination 17 seconds earlier.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

....... fair enough, then training awareness - in school say, is probably "a good thing".
Perhaps everyone should do cycle training, not just cyclist
However, not allowed to cycle to school (say), unless you've trained, and not allowed to be trained, unless you wear a helmet, or have "tread on your tyres", is "a bad thing".

---------------------

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The arguments against citing that it would turn people off cycling goes against the argument, so statistically how many potential drivers were put off altogether because they were scared off by learning the dangers of the roads and traffic when earning to drive?

It is because if you have to do a course before you can go on the road then you put a barrier in the way rather than the actual course puts them off. If I had had to do a course before venturing out on the road, I just wouldn't have got around to it. When I wanted to start cycling I just got on a bike and took it out the garden gate.

on the road

Über Member

@snorri, totally pointless argument.

You can't compare learning to drive with learning to ride a bike.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have never read Roadcraft (often it shows). In my own opinion I am a competent road user and i know how to cycle safely and legally.

I dont think a Roadcraft course should be compulsory because that would probably cost a lot to implement and not a lot of people would probably go on it. I dont think any sort of test or examination will ever be created for cyclists, because then it would raise the question of 'cycling license'. Then moving on to 'insurance' and finally 'road tax (I know, I know) and MOT (but for bikes)'.
Making an examination compulsory would cause a whole heap of problems. The law would end up being very strict and it would probably put a lot of people off cycling. It would not be as efficient of a mode of transport as it is today.
If you wanted to buy a bike, you would probably have to show your license and get the bike taxed (£0) and in a roadworthy condition (second hand?).

As I said, any form of exam would cause problems. Legally and socially.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cyclist: "Why did you pass me through the pinch point and sound your horn?"
Ape: "Because you were cycling in the middle of the road."
Cyclist: "I am allowed to cycle in the middle of the lane"
Ape: "Have you even passed your Roadcraft test?"
Cyclist: "The what?"
Ape: "The test that you MUST pass to cycle on the roads. I have passed my driving test which entitle me to drive on the roads. You must pass your test too."
Cyclist: "I have never heard such rubbish."
Ape: "Well we will see about that when I call the police."

The police turn up and arrest the cyclist for not having a valid cycling license. Ape at the wheel continues to put lives at risk.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It just wouldnt work.

Top Bottom