Should horses be allowed on the road?

Sould horses be allowed on the road

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Abitrary said:
I haven't seen a horse on the roads in about 20 years (I think).

Anyone who doesn't sees lots of horses needs to relocate because the whole area sounds dangerous and unkempt.

I added the bit in bold as it makes more sense now.

Keith Oates

Janner
Horses on the road have a right to be there but the owners should also ensure they are well ridden and have had some training. Something that doesn't always happen with some car drivers and cyclists, or so it seems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bonj2

Abitrary said:
Where are these horses???? Is this all to do with leisure cycling on horse paths?

To be honest there aren't that many you're right.
There's one bit near blacka moor near me which is a source of a lot of hourses, I think it produces 'em all 'cos it's some stables or other. And then there's the ones I saw on a towpath in lincoln. But if i don't go near there, i can be pretty sure of not seeing one.

Tetedelacourse

Yes they should be allowed on the roads, but without discourteous brats who shout at slow cyclists on their backs.

I do object to the big piles of shite they leave though. Heard all the excuses before, it's not toxic, difficult to tell when it's happened etc etc baws, you go out on a horse on a public road you should clean up after it. A drip tray at the very least.

byegad

Legendary Member
I voted for horses to be allowed on roads. To be honest I'd be happy if I never see another on the road, but then I feel the same way about caravans and many other road users too.
Why did I vote to keep them then? Because if we ever do ban horses, or caravans, or mad BMW drivers, the next group to be banned will be cyclists!

515mm

byegad said:
I voted for horses to be allowed on roads. To be honest I'd be happy if I never see another on the road, but then I feel the same way about caravans and many other road users too.
Why did I vote to keep them then? Because if we ever do ban horses, or caravans, or mad BMW drivers, the next group to be banned will be cyclists!
Bang on the nail and exactly the same entirely selfish reason I voted no to a ban; the fear that we'll be next.

I must admit to an irrational loathing of horse riders, or more accurately, horse owners. I catch myself thinking that the riders are pompous and the horses are a vulgar, ostentatious display of excessive wealth. Especially so if the rider is a child. I catch myself feeling that the child's parents must have bought every other status symbol they could think of, but they can't buy Darling Emma a car because Emma is too young to drive. They can spend thousands of pounds a year on another half-ton conveyance however, this time with a mind of it's own. That'll definitely get them noticed down at the golf club.

Like I said, it's not rational.

I've probably got that fiscal envy.

davidwalton

Up until not that many years ago, the horse was the main form of transport. The cart and horse was how EVERYTHING got to and from markets, unless you carried it yourself.

So what if now there are machines where their owners try and own the roads. Hardly any were built for them in the first place.

Reminds me a little about those who feel the elderly should not be provided with free travel, livable pensions, or treated with respect. They paid their dues, as have the horse & owners. Now lets shaft them seems to be ok with some!!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
byegad said:

Exactly so. All the arguments that could be used against a horse could be used against us. Rightly or wrongly, but that's immaterial. Repeat something enough and people will believe it, then use it against you.

fisha

Guru
Although more mountain bike related, horses are probably cyclists closest ally in the issues of public access on rights of way off road, and i suppose on-road, a close ally for right to be on the road too.

Given the comments, it could also be argued that the horsey fraternity is one with a sizable weight in terms of lobbying power. The truely well heeled tend to know folk in the right places. Its a side I would rather be with than against to be honest.

I do think horses should be allowed on the road, and I personally wish that more car owners respected that. I'm quite lucky in that I have a pretty bomb-proof horse who'll stand his ground. There has been more that one occasion where cars have shown no signs of slowing down on a single road, and i've actually stood the horse broad side with a hand out to force them to slow. I dont mind people passing and i'll pull in to allow them to do so, i do mind when they dont try to slow down atall or even accelerate to me.

As for bikes, not got an issue with anyone i've passed whilst riding. More cyclists round my way are considerate, and we'll both pull over for each other and say a cheery hello.

The flip side when I'm on the bike, i'll always give loads of room and say hello to the horse.

the view is better from a horse though.

Bike:
Commute-038.jpg

Horse:
ontroy.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
515mm said:
I must admit to an irrational loathing of horse riders, or more accurately, horse owners. I catch myself thinking that the riders are pompous and the horses are a vulgar, ostentatious display of excessive wealth. Especially so if the rider is a child. I catch myself feeling that the child's parents must have bought every other status symbol they could think of, but they can't buy Darling Emma a car because Emma is too young to drive. They can spend thousands of pounds a year on another half-ton conveyance however, this time with a mind of it's own. That'll definitely get them noticed down at the golf club.

I've probably got that fiscal envy.

I ride. Well, I did, before I had to give up because I hadn't got the money to spare to hire a horse for an hour a week for a lesson or hack. You have very little way of telling if a group of riders out on the road own their horses - especially if you are near a riding stables. As soon as I have a job and can afford to go again, I will, and I don't expect to be earning more than £12,000 p/a, probably less.

I know one person who does own her own pony, well two, a Highland for her and Shetland to keep it company and for her daughter when she's old enough. Her husband is something to do with computers, and she works part time. They are comfortably off, I guess, but not 'rich' by many people's terms. She has the horses because she loves them, and it's nothing to do with ostentation. My other riding partners are all in a similar position - couldn't afford to own a horse, but enjoy riding.

When I am out on the road, I'm never pompous (well, no more than at any other time;) Actually, less so, I'm too busy concentrating on my riding), anyone behaving well gets a smile, and if I feel confident to take a hand off the reins, a wave. Cyclists usually get a nod and a hello, although I suppose they don't know why.

So bear in mind, that horse rider might just be someone like me who scrimps and saves for the priviledge.

LLB

bonj said:
Not all the time they're not!
I've seen a horse in a large group of horses rearing up and the rider was struggling to control it, it wouldn't stop rearing its front legs up and waving them about.
This was on a canal towpath, and it was doing this before I approached, so it wasn't me that caused it. I pulled in the side and held myh bike on the verge as close in to the hedge as I could while they passed, and they still frowned at me as they passed.
This although anecdotal is not atypical of the attitudes, and just this one little thing can make you angry as you continue your journey and take away faith in humanity's propensity to be nice to one another, and removes all respect horses.

But it's perfectly reasonable to expect a cyclist to "be there". Simply being there, or even moving along slowly, quietly and considerately, doesn't constitute 'behaving in an aggressive manner', and if this is deemed too aggressive for the horse, then there's not really much else the cyclist can do about that, short of not 'being there', and if this is the case then it's the horse that has got the problem, not the other way round, and therefore in my opinion it's the horse that shouldn't be there.

I'm not wanting to have a go at you linf, and I'm trying not to make this an ad hominem argument, so if you're a considerate horse rider who trains your horse well, is tolerant of other road/bridlepath users and appreciates courtesy rather than frowns when it is afforded to you, then I've no problem with you whatsoever. My beef is just with the fact that if you are those things, then unfortunately according to my experience you're in a minority, and your fellow equestrianists are letting you down as they're doing your side no favours with their bad attitudes..

When I say ' Originally Posted by linfordlunchbox View Post
Horses are allowed on the road because they are under the control of the riders.'

It is as opposed to them being left to roam the streets unattended.

If I were to see a horse rearing and the rider struggling to control it, or a parent wrestling with a small child on a cycle path, or a dog on a lead attempting to drag its owner across the road to see another dog, then as a bystander, It would be the sensible thing to wait and give them a chance to resolve the issue, not to barge through arrogantly.
I'd hope you offer more consideration whilst in your van !

QuickDraw

Tetedelacourse said:
Yes they should be allowed on the roads, but without discourteous brats who shout at slow cyclists on their backs.

I do object to the big piles of shite they leave though. Heard all the excuses before, it's not toxic, difficult to tell when it's happened etc etc baws, you go out on a horse on a public road you should clean up after it. A drip tray at the very least.

It's a £40 fine if you don't pick up after your dog so why is it different for horses?

Yes of course they should be allowed on the road but they shouldn't expect everyone to pussyfoot around them. The responsibility of controlling the "vehicle" should rest with the rider. If they get spooked by a bike at 20mph there's no way they should be on the road cos think what they'll be like when an HGV goes past at 30.

Top Bottom