Should horses be allowed on the road?

Sould horses be allowed on the road

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

515mm

Arch

As I mentioned in my post, it's an irrational feeling on my part which is definitely my problem. I try hard to not make any gross generalisations about anyone and my post was more about how unjustified prejudice can affect how we behave, even if it is only voting on a straw poll.

I rarely meet horses on the road, but when I do, I always slow down, talk gently to them if I'm on my bike and give them acres of space. I used to go horse riding with my sister at the local riding school when I was a boy and I really enjoyed it.

Like I have said three times now; irrational.

Voted yes.If we are allowed on the road why not them?

Arch

Married to Night Train
515mm said:
Arch

As I mentioned in my post, it's an irrational feeling on my part which is definitely my problem. I try hard to not make any gross generalisations about anyone and my post was more about how unjustified prejudice can affect how we behave, even if it is only voting on a straw poll.

I rarely meet horses on the road, but when I do, I always slow down, talk gently to them if I'm on my bike and give them acres of space. I used to go horse riding with my sister at the local riding school when I was a boy and I really enjoyed it.

Like I have said three times now; irrational.

OK, sorry, I did spot the 'irrational' bit: I think I was more making the point to others than to you, but I should have made that clearer perhaps.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I can't believe the 6 supposed cyclists on here voting against horses. I suggest you lot either: stop cycling immediately or admit your hypocrisy.

515mm

Hey Arch,

Less of the old! I'm young and really quite vigorous........

Though I do hear the teapot calling. Oooh walnut bread toast.

Mmmm.....

walker

I'm not sure if anyone is aware but upon approaching a horse from behind it is best to call up ahead that you are appraching as I have had a few horse's startled when I cruise past and one even nearly fell over with the rider on top.

Tetedelacourse

A hand up it's dirtbox would alert it to your presence.

gavintc

Guru
As much I think the continentals have the right idea about horse and serve it with a nice sauce, I would equally champion the concept that horses have a place on our roads. To me, the poll is rather like asking should pedestrians be allowed on the pavement and I agree with the words stated by BM above.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I was one who voted against. To be honest there is a large stables near me and whilst I am corteous and always slow and announce my presence I get a little fed up to be blanked or shouted to slow down when I am overtaking at a walking pace and giving them plenty of space. I of course appreciate that not all are like this however there are several in my area who are and it really pees me off. If they cannot control their animals then to be honest they should not be on the road.

I of course fully understand the irony of my position as this is exactly what some car drivers undoubtedly feel towards me and others when I am on my bike.

andygates

It certainly is. Shared space means sometimes sharing with things you're not to keen on, knowing that it all works out fair in the end.

What would you propose as an alternative? And with the precedent set for horses, how soon before Clarkson Man voted us off the roads too?

Arch

Married to Night Train
515mm said:
Hey Arch,

Less of the old! I'm young and really quite vigorous........

Though I do hear the teapot calling. Oooh walnut bread toast.

Mmmm.....

Ooops! Sorry again....:sad:

Mind you, I've known a older chap who was really quite vigorous, the two are not mutually exclusive...:ohmy:

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Has anyone even considered that horse riders, while controlling their mounts might just concentrating on the matter in hand.

Let me suggest a hypothetical example in cycling terms,

While out on your bike you have an altercation with a WVM.
WVM has nearly had you off with an unindicated left hook, but you have just stopped in time and besides the adrenaline coursing thru you, you are unhurt.
There is a brief exchange of guestures and curses and you and the WVM go on about your seperate ways.

How do you feel now? More importantly how does this effect your attitude to traffic around you?

I'd like to guess that like me, you will be feeling angry, frustrated and a tad more defensive than usual. I find myself far less tolerant of traffic after an incident like this.

Now put yourself in the position of the horse rider, if you have had bad experiences with a motorist or cyclist while on your ride, you will most likely tar every other that you encounter with the same brush.

T x

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
515mm said:
I must admit to an irrational loathing of horse riders, or more accurately, horse owners. I catch myself thinking that the riders are pompous and the horses are a vulgar, ostentatious display of excessive wealth.

That's not been my experience at all - as I say, I chat when the riders are willing to, and they've all seemed quite down to earth folk to me - one or two rather more well spoken than I, but nice enough people nonetheless. Genuinely I can't recall any rider not returning a wave as I pass, at the very least.

Top Bottom