Should horses be allowed on the road?

Sould horses be allowed on the road

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

davidtq said:
I dont like horse poo either, possibly because I see too much of it... Pig poo is possibly the worst, cow isnt too bad wouldnt want it on the street either though.

Look back in urban history to that rose tinted time when horses ruled the road and you will find that one of the biggest complaints was the horsedroppings.

I dont believe leaving our crap on the streets is good in any form whether its old TV's - which dont smell and dont slide under tyres and dont stick to metal, or coke cans or diesel or anything else.

We had a good slogan down this way for a while, "leave only footprints"

Whenever I bring the trailer home for maintainance, I always have the neighbours come out and ask me if there is any droppings they can have out of it for their gardens.

One of them stopped me on the road and asked where I keep them, could she go and collect some for her garden.

It is a biodegradable waste product which either dries out in a few hours, or gets washed away. It is at the end of the day just partially fermented grass.

I keep my horses on a working farm, and there are a couple of pigs in the pen next to the pony. What leaks out under their pen gate is really vile. I got it on the soles of my wellies last night and it absolutely stank the car out on the way home to the point that I had to run them under the tap before putting them back in the car for the morning.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I've only ever had a problem with horses on my recumbent, and then I can't blame the horses for not liking something that's low, fast, and looks a lot like a predator might. The problem is easily solved, simply stop, stand up, and talk to the horse and rider whilst they pass you. Result: chuffed horse rider, happy cyclist, good karma.

I used to have to do this all the time in Hyde Park, but the horses are very used to recumbents now, I and the other recumbent riders have effectively trained them.

Maz

Guru
Personal insults aimed at simoncc are bang out of order. If you don't like his point of view, fair enough, but there's no need to slag him off etc.
There. I've said it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
linfordlunchbox said:
I keep my horses on a working farm, and there are a couple of pigs in the pen next to the pony. What leaks out under their pen gate is really vile. I got it on the soles of my wellies last night and it absolutely stank the car out on the way home to the point that I had to run them under the tap before putting them back in the car for the morning.

Pigs of course, are biologically the most similar farm animal to us, so their poo presumably disgusts us the most, being the most like ours in content.

davidtq

Arch said:
I think if I took my house for a walk, there'd be more for the population to think about than a bit of poo - trailing electricity cables, gas pipes, probably chunks of plaster and loose slates falling off. And as I only live in a flat, I bet my neighbours would be a bit pissed off....:thumbsup:

damn those dyslexic fingers :smile:. Now does dog really exist??

BentMikey said:
I've only ever had a problem with horses on my recumbent, and then I can't blame the horses for not liking something that's low, fast, and looks a lot like a predator might. The problem is easily solved, simply stop, stand up, and talk to the horse and rider whilst they pass you. Result: chuffed horse rider, happy cyclist, good karma.

I used to have to do this all the time in Hyde Park, but the horses are very used to recumbents now, I and the other recumbent riders have effectively trained them.

Awwwwwwwwww that's lovely.:thumbsup:

davidtq

linfordlunchbox said:
Whenever I bring the trailer home for maintainance, I always have the neighbours come out and ask me if there is any droppings they can have out of it for their gardens.

One of them stopped me on the road and asked where I keep them, could she go and collect some for her garden.

It is a biodegradable waste product which either dries out in a few hours, or gets washed away. It is at the end of the day just partially fermented grass.

Horse pony manure in the right place - no problems here, I really dont mind it being used as fertilizer, thats no problem, I dont appreciate it being left all over the road, any more than any other biodegradeable waste. Its still more unpleasant than the also biodegradeable fast food wrappers. Biodegradeability might mitigate the littering, but its still littering and unpleasant to me.

Some people may love the sight and aroma of a well formed horse dump on the road. Personally I dont. and find the "I dont care attitude" as obnoxious and antisocial as the chavs with their fast food wrappers. Thats my personal opinion.

Seriously dung in the right places I have no issues with I dont give a damn about it when im walking the moors, but I hate it being left randomly in the road in urban areas. We have a lot of stables in the area and I personally hate what they do to the roads. Were not talking one or two droppings :thumbsup:

I do agree completely on pig stuff though, really vile stuff, glad they dont take those on the street often. It might smell bad when the farmers are spreading around here, but at least its not on the street and getting all over the place.

LLB

davidtq said:
Horse pony manure in the right place - no problems here, I really dont mind it being used as fertilizer, thats no problem, I dont appreciate it being left all over the road, any more than any other biodegradeable waste. Its still more unpleasant than the also biodegradeable fast food wrappers. Biodegradeability might mitigate the littering, but its still littering and unpleasant to me.

Some people may love the sight and aroma of a well formed horse dump on the road. Personally I dont. and find the "I dont care attitude" as obnoxious and antisocial as the chavs with their fast food wrappers. Thats my personal opinion.

Seriously dung in the right places I have no issues with I dont give a damn about it when im walking the moors, but I hate it being left randomly in the road in urban areas. We have a lot of stables in the area and I personally hate what they do to the roads. Were not talking one or two droppings :thumbsup:

I do agree completely on pig stuff though, really vile stuff, glad they dont take those on the street often. It might smell bad when the farmers are spreading around here, but at least its not on the street and getting all over the place.

I feel the same way about Horse droppings on the road as I do about Diesel spills, but Diesel is not biodegradable, is much harder to spot, and is much more of a problem than Horse poo will ever be !

davidtq

linfordlunchbox said:
I feel the same way about Horse droppings on the road as I do about Diesel spills, but Diesel is not biodegradable, is much harder to spot, and is much more of a problem than Horse poo will ever be !

I largelly agree with that, although to be fair I believe many diesels are biodegradeable... but I come across far more horse droppings than I do diesel spills.

Horse droppings the rider knows about and there are solutions to stop it, diesel on the roads the owner may not know about. Certainly though anyone who is dropping diesel and doesnt do anything about it is a dangerous numpty. If you are dropping fuel the little puddle where you park is a good clue to get things fixed fast...:thumbsup: Especially give the price of diesel these days :smile:

Given a choice between equal quantities of diesel and horse manure on the road Id take the manure, but round here it isnt close to equal. I appreciate the many london dwellers reading probably deal with far more diesel than horse droppings :smile:.

LLB

davidtq said:
I largelly agree with that, although to be fair I believe many diesels are biodegradeable... but I come across far more horse droppings than I do diesel spills.

Horse droppings the rider knows about and there are solutions to stop it, diesel on the roads the owner may not know about. Certainly though anyone who is dropping diesel and doesnt do anything about it is a dangerous numpty. If you are dropping fuel the little puddle where you park is a good clue to get things fixed fast...:thumbsup: Especially give the price of diesel these days :smile:

Given a choice between equal quantities of diesel and horse manure on the road Id take the manure, but round here it isnt close to equal. I appreciate the many london dwellers reading probably deal with far more diesel than horse droppings :smile:.

Spiller Killer

Diesel spills - let's cap them!

Diesel spills on Devon’s roads cause an unacceptable hazard to motorcyclists, and riders have asked us to help reduce the number of spills they have to deal with. Our survey of rider views, and our work with rider groups, has made it clear that motorcyclists feel that this is an unnecessary threat that needs to be addressed, and the anecdotal evidence is strong that riders can, and do, skid on diesel.

Diesel left on the highway by HGVs, buses, tractors and cars causes a slippery surface that is dangerous to all road users and potentially lethal to motorcyclists. Government statistics show that motorcyclists are twice as likely to suffer injuries from collisions as a result of diesels spills than as a result of skidding on snow and ice.

To help combat this problem, Devon County Council’s Road Safety Team have launched the Spiller Killer initiative – the aim of which will be to:

1.Raise the awareness of the problem, and the potential consequences and dangers to all road users.

2.Encourage the reporting of diesel spills so that the we can take quick remedial action.

3.Promote education at haulage companies, drivers, farmers, bus companies, petrol filling stations etc. about the problems caused by overfilling, poorly fitted fuel caps and poorly maintained vehicles - all of which can lead to diesel spillage.

This is not a problem for Devon alone. There is national recognition amongst rider groups that diesel spills are a very real issue and it’s in this context that we are trying to make progress on our own network. If we can cap this problem in Devon we’ll be making a real contribution to solving a national, as well as a local, threat to biker safety.

Clearly though we need your help to do it.

* If you run a diesel vehicle don't overfill your tank and remember to replace your fuel cap properly - it's money down the drain and bikers on the tarmac if you don't.
* Ensure your vehicle is well serviced. If you see a problem, get it fixed immediately before it causes problems to others.
* As well as causing hazards on the road, diesel also corrodes the bitumen road surface causing longer term safety problems.
* If you drop diesel on the highway you could be recharged with the cost of repairing the damage.
* Early reporting is essential. The earlier they are reported, the sooner they can be dealt with.
* If you are responsible for diesel vehicles in your work, or think that your fleet, safety or depot manager might be interested in helping to reduce wasteful and dangerous spillages, get in touch with us today.

How do you spot a diesel spill?

There are a number of characteristics that allow you to spot diesel spills on the road:

* Diesel spills have a rainbow effect in wet conditions
* Diesel has a distinctive smell
* Diesel spills are slippery underfoot

How do you report diesel spills in Devon?

If you see a diesel spill report it to:

Devon County Council’s Control and Information Room on 01392 383329

Make sure you can give an accurate location of the spill. This information is crucial. Diesel spills should be reported if they are approximately the size of a manhole cover or larger. They are particularly hazardous on bends, junctions and roundabouts where motorcycles are manoeuvring.

Remember: If you’re using a mobile phone first find a safe place to stop before calling.

To help drivers remember the Spiller Killer message we have produced a number of items - posters, fuel cap stickers, leaflets and keyrings - all of which are available from the Road Safety Helpdesk. Telephone or Fax on 01392 446124 or email our biker safety mailbox at bikers@devon.gov.uk.

You can also download copies of the posters and leaflets here.

Another whinge is here , aptly called 'the weekly gripe' :biggrin:

http://www.weeklygripe.co.uk/a540.asp

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
davidtq said:
Seriously dung in the right places I have no issues with I dont give a damn about it when im walking the moors, but I hate it being left randomly in the road in urban areas. We have a lot of stables in the area and I personally hate what they do to the roads. Were not talking one or two droppings

Take it as a warning to keep your eyes on the road. 99.9% of the time I'll spot it a mile off, and choose an appropriate line. When I’m out on the bike, I’d rather hit a 4” pile of horse manure than a 4” deep pothole. Fit crap catchers mudguards, no probs.

LLB

gambatte said:
Take it as a warning to keep your eyes on the road. 99.9% of the time I'll spot it a mile off, and choose an appropriate line. When I’m out on the bike, I’d rather hit a 4” pile of horse manure than a 4” deep pothole. Fit crap catchers mudguards, no probs.

It is also a visible warning to drivers that there are vulnerable road users in the area (depending on the freshness ;) Ahem)

davidtq

gambatte said:

Id rather hit a empty burgerking box than a 4" pile horse turd...

Top Bottom