Should I be worried about my heart rate while cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickAKA

Über Member
Did my heart rate manually and it is not far off what he watch is saying. I think I should go to the docs although dealing with the snotty receptionist and the mad rush every morning to get an appointment won't help my heart any.

See your GP, they can advise you professionally. if s/he is concerned about heart rate & BP they'll monitor you over a period of time rather than measuring once and guess. If you're carrying some excess timber and don't have a great level of fitness you will have a high(er) heart rate when you excercise, but 'we' (the royal we) aren't qualified to tell you what that should be.
Personally, I would suggest carrying gently on as long as you aren't feeling unwell during & after execise, and see your GP ASAP to put your mind at rest. If you don't exercise at all you'll never get to where you want to be so proceed with care until told otherwise.

I'm 71Kg and have quite a high (comparatively) resting HR, I won't let it worry me as long as I'm feeling fit & healthy.

vickster

Legendary Member
Did my heart rate manually and it is not far off what he watch is saying. I think I should go to the docs although dealing with the snotty receptionist and the mad rush every morning to get an appointment won't help my heart any.
How old are you? If over 40, have you had the NHS health check done? Might be able to book in with GP nurse for that if you can't book any Dr appointments in advance

si_c

Guru
A resting heart rate of 100 is high, and I'd consider getting it checked out just for peace of mind, but it's not uncommon to have a higher RHR when quite overweight - you don't mention your height but with your weight I'd suggest that would make sense. If you are planning on losing weight through cycling, then it is likely that it will come down as you lose the weight and your fitness increases. Nevertheless, it might be a good idea to contact your GP just to get a health check - let them know that you're planning to increase your exercise levels and that you just want to make sure that there is nothing that might cause problems.

In terms of accuracy, the wrist ones do have a reputation for being less accurate - especially if you have the strap loose - but I've checked mine along side a chest strap and it was close enough (only a couple of bpm out) that I'm not concerned about it - the natural variability of your heart rate will be more than that anyway.

Edit to add: As far as max HR is concerned it's just an estimate based on a few (reasonable) assumptions. However it's not exact, and depends on your physiology - according to the calculators my max HR is around 185, but I struggle to get it above 170 even when doing flat out efforts.

As @nickAKA said, in the absence of professional advise otherwise, listen to your body, and whilst your getting going, take things easy, and if you feel fine, carry on.

Last edited:
There are two numbers to look at with HR. One is your resting HR and the other is your recovery HR. The latter, when you stop exercising should drop 20 or 30 beats over the space of a minute or two. If you're overweight and trying to get fit you might not see ideal numbers and it might not be anything to worry about but it's as well to see you're GP if you're concerned. I don't say that lightly these days as GP's are run off their feet and getting an appt can be hard work.

presta

Guru
Nicole Cooke's beginner's training program starts at around 60-75% MHR, and works up to 75-89% over two months. Over 90% is for short bursts of a couple of minutes only. I think trying to exercise at an average of 93% MHR is too much, no wonder your RHR is 100, I used to do what you're trying to do and lived to regret it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cycle-Life-Nicole-Cooke/dp/1856267563

Sidwells is fairly similar:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chris-Sidw...plete+bike+book&qid=1563450596&s=books&sr=1-5

British Cycling publish training programs on their website too, but they've hidden them behind a paywall recently.

As far as max HR is concerned it's just an estimate based on a few (reasonable) assumptions.
I've had two Bruce tests at cardiology in hospital, they use 220-age.

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

How old are you? If over 40, have you had the NHS health check done? Might be able to book in with GP nurse for that if you can't book any Dr appointments in advance

39, 40 in 6 months.

A resting heart rate of 100 is high, and I'd consider getting it checked out just for peace of mind, but it's not uncommon to have a higher RHR when quite overweight - you don't mention your height but with your weight I'd suggest that would make sense.

5'11" so very over weight. BMI 38.2

Nicole Cooke's beginner's training program starts at around 60-75% MHR, and works up to 75-89% over two months. Over 90% is for short bursts of a couple of minutes only. I think trying to exercise at an average of 93% MHR is too much, no wonder your RHR is 100, I used to do what you're trying to do and lived to regret it.

At the moment I am not trying to exercise at any specific rate, just get to work in a reasonable time. I'm not going particularly fast, on the hill I would be amazed if I am breaking 4mph at times.

I have an appointment booked at the docs but it is a month away as they are all book in the morning and go instantly otherwise.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
It is always worth keeping track of your heart rate and blood pressure. I have had issues with very bad palpitations in the past (ok at the moment) and have had a few A and E trips and several 24hr monitors. For £15 You can get a decent blood pressure monitor that will accurately count bpm as well - take it several times over the day to get a more accurate picture of your heart rate.

High resting pulse rate is not necessarily related to obesity. I am 30-40lb overweight and my resting pulse is nearly always under 60, often much lower. Glad you are getting it checked out.

presta

Guru
At the moment I am not trying to exercise at any specific rate, just get to work in a reasonable time. I'm not going particularly fast, on the hill I would be amazed if I am breaking 4mph at times.

Your speed is irrelevant (which is why people use heart rate monitors to train), the issue is that you're exercising at far too high a HR for a beginner. You're average is 93% of your MHR, that sort of HR is for people who are already very fit, and even then only for short bursts. Over exercising the way you are can raise your resting heart rate, what was it before you started cycling? If you're new to exercise you need to be starting at 60-70% MHR (109-127 bpm) for about 30 mins 3 to 4 times a week. You build exercise time first before trying higher heart rates, and even then, only if you're seeing an improvement in performance.

You say you're only doing 4mph, but on what gradient? Even if it's only 10%, at your weight that would be ~250 watts, which is a lot of power for someone who is unfit.

I made exactly the same mistake as you're making, and it's ruined my health permanently.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Your speed is irrelevant (which is why people use heart rate monitors to train), the issue is that you're exercising at far too high a HR for a beginner. You're average is 93% of your MHR, that sort of HR is for people who are already very fit, and even then only for short bursts. Over exercising the way you are can raise your resting heart rate, what was it before you started cycling? If you're new to exercise you need to be starting at 60-70% MHR (109-127 bpm) for about 30 mins 3 to 4 times a week. You build exercise time first before trying higher heart rates, and even then, only if you're seeing an improvement in performance.

You say you're only doing 4mph, but on what gradient? Even if it's only 10%, at your weight that would be ~250 watts, which is a lot of power for someone who is unfit.

I made exactly the same mistake as you're making, and it's ruined my health permanently.
Sorry, but that is mostly nonsense, not least because you don't know what the OPs max HR is, it could be 200.

Secondly I can hold 90% of my max for over an hour, so clearly that's a short burst.

General advice for those new to exercise is to take it easy and build up. And if worried speak to a professional.

Everyone is physiologically different, so giving advice using assumptions based on flawed general principles is not great.

I appreciate that you may have had medical issues in the past, but that doesn't mean that your experience is universal.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I just got an upgrade to my fitness watch and this one has a heart rate monitor built in so for the first time I have heart rate information for a ride. My average for the 5 mile ride was 168bpm with a max of 190bpm (on the big hill bit). I have read some sites online that for my age my max should be 180bpm and during exercise between 100 - 160 average...my resting heart rate is around 100...

I think my question is should I upgrade my life insurance?
Yes.
A resting heart rate of 100 is a bit on the high side, but maybe you’re unfit!
I have coronary heart disease, am overweight and have a resting heart rate of around 50 or less.
Here’s the thing, warm-up slowly, then ride at a pace when you are just able to hold a conversation. You’re not Eddy Mercx yet. Take it easy, build your cardio fitness gently.

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
Get your Heart/ HR measured by your doctor using medically approved equipment not a consumer wearable. Get your BP checked too

Mine for reference is mid to high 50s and I’m far from a sportswoman (at least 15kg overweight)
This.

At a recent check I was looking at my Garmin 235 showing me 55bpm, whilst the nurse had a device on me measuring something like 70bpm, I know which one I'd trust the most.

amoto65

Pay no attention to any of these replies if you have doubts go and see your doctor for advice, if you were not worried you would not have asked, everyone is different so better safe than sorry. Spoken as a heart attack survivor.

Top Bottom