Should I be worried about my heart rate while cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

Interestingly my resting (and by this I mean just sitting at my desk) heartbeat according to my watch is arround 70-80 today, maybe I was just stressed yesterday, although I haven't cycled in today. I'm still going to see the doctor to be on the safe side as the ride home yesterday which is more uphill it got to 193 peak bpm. Both rides were not the quickest I have done it.

You say you're only doing 4mph, but on what gradient? Even if it's only 10%, at your weight that would be ~250 watts, which is a lot of power for someone who is unfit.

According to Strava the point when I peaked was a max 8% gradient, it is only for a very sort time but the only way I could put less into it would be to get off and walk and I am already in the lowest gear at this point.

tom73

Guru
Until you had a way of knowing did you think your heart rate was high when resting? Lot's of outside factors some you never even think about can effect your HR. Most of time it's nothing to bother about so if it will put fears to bed then go and get checked out. But forget the GP as with most things it's the practice nurse you need.

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

Until you had a way of knowing did you think your heart rate was high when resting? Lot's of outside factors some you never even think about can effect your HR. Most of time it's nothing to bother about so if it will put fears to bed then go and get checked out. But forget the GP as with most things it's the practice nurse you need.

I never thought about it tbh but then I dismiss a lot of pains or discomfort on being a larger person.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I just got an upgrade to my fitness watch and this one has a heart rate monitor built in so for the first time I have heart rate information for a ride. My average for the 5 mile ride was 168bpm with a max of 190bpm (on the big hill bit). I have read some sites online that for my age my max should be 180bpm and during exercise between 100 - 160 average...my resting heart rate is around 100...

I think my question is should I upgrade my life insurance?

I fully appreciate everyone is an individual but with those stats I would be visiting my GP. From what you have said you're in your early 40s and overweight. See a doctor not a bunch of internet cyclists.

For comparison I'm 65, 71.2kg (157lbs), resting HR 48, max 155. On an 80 mile ride I can come home with an average HR of 115/120 and a max around 135. Occasionally I'll hit a max of 160/162 but I don't want to. Ideally I'll be at around 80% of max HR.

The other point is how quickly your HR drops at rest. Mine loses 20/30 BPM per minute. 20 is good, 15 is acceptable but below 12 is an issue.

You mentioned aches and twinges but don't say where. I had a heart attack 4.5 years ago. I now know I had the warning signs for perhaps 15 years. Do not ignore anything.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Guru
I'm in my 50's, I've been cycling seriously for about 10 years, and have tended to do everything flat out. This year I've done more mileage than ever before, but what I've done is add in some lower intensity work. That does seem to make a difference, aiming to keep my heart-rate / power down. I can maintain a high heart-rate for quite a while, over 85% of my maximum for 3 hours for instance.

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

I fully appreciate everyone is an individual but with those stats I would be visiting my GP. From what you have said you're in your early 40s and overweight. See a doctor not a bunch of internet cyclists.

You mentioned aches and twinges but don't say where. I had a heart attack 4.5 years ago. I now know I had the warning signs for perhaps 15 years. Do not ignore anything.

I wasn't using the internet in lieu of medical advice, I was just wondering was it massively abnormal, I was still planning to get proper medical advice. It's a fitness section of the forum and it was a fitness issue so I thought I would ask. It's actually been really interesting reading the replies and is making me think of things I never would have before. I have a Docs appointment booked (don't seem to be able to book in with the nurse in advance easily for some reason)

Aches all over to be fair, not specifically the hear region other then hearburn and the like. Feels a bit like it is pounding after a ride and it does take a little while to fully recover but that is mainly my legs. I may be pushing myself too much at times but like I said on the hills if I put in less effort I would stop.

si_c

Guru
I wasn't using the internet in lieu of medical advice, I was just wondering was it massively abnormal, I was still planning to get proper medical advice. It's a fitness section of the forum and it was a fitness issue so I thought I would ask. It's actually been really interesting reading the replies and is making me think of things I never would have before. I have a Docs appointment booked (don't seem to be able to book in with the nurse in advance easily for some reason)

Aches all over to be fair, not specifically the hear region other then hearburn and the like. Feels a bit like it is pounding after a ride and it does take a little while to fully recover but that is mainly my legs. I may be pushing myself too much at times but like I said on the hills if I put in less effort I would stop.

I wouldn't be discouraged at this stage, there is no shame in getting off and pushing your bike - I've done it plenty of times, especially when I was significantly overweight and trying to improve my fitness. Unless I'm trying to prove a point (not entirely beyond the realm of possibility), if it's quicker to walk, I walk.

Just take it easy when you are riding, if you feel like you can't go on much longer, slow down or stop, just build up to things steadily and slowly. Once you've seen the Doctor build their advice into what you are already doing and you'll be fine. BTW an 8% gradient is fairly steep - so well done on getting up - a commonly repeated refrain is that it never gets easier you just go faster, keep on riding and make sure you enjoy yourself.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
If you see your GP or practise nurse and find that that your pulse is normal, it still wouldn't hurt to ask for a 24hr holter monitor. The waiting time around here is a couple of months but it would probably help put your mind at rest. I have an ongoing issue with palpitations and occasional tachycardia (pvc's specifically) and have had several monitors over the years, which have reassured me tremendously. Fingers crossed you will get an ecg and a monitor, and ideally an echocardiogram.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I am sorry to go OT, but does anybody know how I can find out my blood type? I have had blood tests in the past at my local surgery but I always forget to ask.

(Just rang them as I’m filling in ICE forms. They don’t keep your blood type on file and can’t tell me how I would find out :wacko:)

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Veteran
You can buy kits for under a tenner, but many pharmacies, and even supermarket pharmacies, do cholesterol blood tests in store so they might do blood type tests too.

vickster

Legendary Member
I am sorry to go OT, but does anybody know how I can find out my blood type? I have had blood tests in the past at my local surgery but I always forget to ask.

(Just rang them as I’m filling in ICE forms. They don’t keep your blood type on file and can’t tell me how I would find out :wacko:)
Go give blood

Top Bottom